Handling Spam on XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Have you been hit with spam yet? Fake account registrations or simply abusive users signing up to post signature links trying to get away with spam, etc?

Have you woken up yet to 500 or 5000 msgs in your offtopic board all linking to free iPhones, etc?

We have been quite lucky on the wetalk board and xenfans forums here. And the first few months we didn't even turn on any anti spam measures, or even require users to verify their email. However, every time we did get a spam user to sign up, we turn on one of the features so we slowly decrease the user experience, but increase the anti spam.

I have to say: It's been very quiet - spam wise - with XenForo, despite the many attempts by users to try and register to spam. So I am happy about that.

What's your experience with spam on XenForo?

BossmaN

OMG Member
Havent had any spam. I dont have any registration security on more than "20 - 5 = ?"

But i guess it will come when the site is growing bigger.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I haven't used Xenforo on a live community yet, I currently use IPB and that is horrible for spam, I tuned it up until I got hardly any spam signups, which decreased the spam messages a bit but then I just got legit people registering an account, and then using the account to spam. So I couldn't really win, still get quite a bit of spam, but I have a forum called Moderation that I move all the spam threads to.
I know this isn't Xenforo related, but I just wanted to let you all know my experiences.

BossmaN

OMG Member
Why dont you just delete the spam threads instead of moving them to a "folder" ?

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Because I have OCD, everything with me has to be perfect, I also want the total number of discussions, replies and members to tally up with the overall system count, for example if the latest member id to join was 1000 and on the member total section I had 1001 members showing that would really get to me and irritate me =P

So thats why I decided to create a forum called moderation and move all the spam there :)

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
i use the xenforo spam cleaner, more than efficient.

Michael Dance

OMG Member
my forum is completely empty Lol, and no spammers yet but i have verify email and KeyCaptcha.

Ian_imported

OMG Member
Nothing so far, except for some manual spam. Certainly nowhere near the levels we've seen on VB/IPB. I guess the spambots haven't got profiles built for XF as it's still quite new.

At least there are some good anti-spam measures available in XF (I can strongly recommend the stopforumspam plugin, which comes as part of one of the 8wayrun packages).

gldtn_imported

OMG Member
Nothing yet on my board since I switched from vB to Xen! It's been almost 2 months running live with Xen.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.