How do you listen to your music and where do you get it?

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Like the title said, how and where?

Personally I buy most of my music. If I like it I buy it because I want to own it and because I want to show support for that artist/s. I buy cds mostly (I'm old) but sometimes I'll buy through iTunes. On the odd occasion I'll listen to youtube but mostly not.

How? I generally almost always listen through my computer but at night it's the radio that is on and mainly Absolute as I can't get any other channels I like through it.

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
Spotify is how I listen to most of it nowadays. I really miss having xfm or Sirius, but I don't drive enough anymore to really warrant paying for that kind of service. I do pay for Spotify Premium, because I like to plug my phone into my auxiliary jack in the car, and listen that way. I usually put on some of my favorite playlists, or if I'm looking to be exposed to other stuff similar to what I've been jamming on, I pick like the Daily Playlist.

If I really like something, I'll see if Half Price books has the CD. Otherwise I'll go through iTunes. Which pains me, because if you ever lose access to your account, say goodbye to your music- something I've dealt with after my last divorce.

I do enjoy listening to something on YouTube and then letting it play until I hit something or a block of somethings that I'm like, ehhh, nah.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Like the title said, how and where?

Personally I buy most of my music. If I like it I buy it because I want to own it and because I want to show support for that artist/s. I buy cds mostly (I'm old) but sometimes I'll buy through iTunes. On the odd occasion I'll listen to youtube but mostly not.

How? I generally almost always listen through my computer but at night it's the radio that is on and mainly Absolute as I can't get any other channels I like through it.

Yeah, I always enjoyed owning my music, but as the years went by they released better versions of it, higher quality, or a unique mix, etc. It is hard to keep up and my cd box was just too full.

I moved on since then by simply having it when I want it. Once a year I tend to just throw out everything on my computer and start fresh. My taste changes a lot, especially when my mood changes.

Owning music isn't a thing anymore. While you might have the physical disk. It is still locked down with DRM anti piracy protection stuff, and it's actually a license that you pay for to have the right to play 'that instance', rather than copy it 5 times so you can have it on all your systems, a copy for the car, etc. It's just not how I prefer to 'own' something.

But whatever, it doesn't matter, it's a physical thing you hold in your hand, I guess that's something.

With youtube, spotify, digital radio, vimeo, soundcloud, apple music, and all that stuff, it's hard to not have access to the music that you want.

I try not to pay for subscriptions, but recently my parents had an interest in some music and I've been paying an apple music account since then. It's really not worth it. I still listen to youtube playlists more it seems like. And that reminds me, I have to cancel that stuff today.

Spotify is how I listen to most of it nowadays. I really miss having xfm or Sirius, but I don't drive enough anymore to really warrant paying for that kind of service. I do pay for Spotify Premium, because I like to plug my phone into my auxiliary jack in the car, and listen that way. I usually put on some of my favorite playlists, or if I'm looking to be exposed to other stuff similar to what I've been jamming on, I pick like the Daily Playlist.

If I really like something, I'll see if Half Price books has the CD. Otherwise I'll go through iTunes. Which pains me, because if you ever lose access to your account, say goodbye to your music- something I've dealt with after my last divorce.

I do enjoy listening to something on YouTube and then letting it play until I hit something or a block of somethings that I'm like, ehhh, nah.

That's a good point. I've seen friends of mine lose thousands of albums because of breakups, or simply losing access to their itunes or spotify accounts. It sucks, but i guess it's a thing we get for 99 cents a song these days.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I have bought myself a DAB radio now and I can listen to Planet Rock now :D Not just downstairs! LOL

Floris

Staff member
What's a dab radio?
O_o
what's radio?

I just listen to random youtube playlists the last few months. dunno why though. lol

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Digital audio broadcasting (DAB) is a digital radio standard for broadcasting digital audio radio services, used in many countries across Europe, Asia, and the Pacific. ... DAB is generally more efficient in its use of spectrum than analogue FM radio, and thus can offer more radio services for the same given bandwidth.

LOL

Vloop

Patron
I do like Spotify and use it for personal entertainment. I lost a whole collection of CDs (15 years of music in my life) and I have now everything organized on Spotify.
And when playing and streaming I download the free songs from YouTube audio library and play it using a desktop player.

Floris

Staff member
Digital audio broadcasting (DAB) is a digital radio standard for broadcasting digital audio radio services, used in many countries across Europe, Asia, and the Pacific. ... DAB is generally more efficient in its use of spectrum than analogue FM radio, and thus can offer more radio services for the same given bandwidth.

LOL
Since I was able to buy cd's - I've stopped listening to radio, well, i had a period in 2004 where i started listening to digital radio but the ads and talking were annoying. I also tried apple music with radio 1 or whatever it was called.i couldn't stand it to be honest.

I just listen to playlists on youtube now, ad-free, and full songs, nobody talking - just music.

For some reason I never realised people still listen to (digital) radio. Shows you how small my own world is haha.

Floris

Staff member
I do like Spotify and use it for personal entertainment. I lost a whole collection of CDs (15 years of music in my life) and I have now everything organized on Spotify.
And when playing and streaming I download the free songs from YouTube audio library and play it using a desktop player.
At some point in my life i went through all my cd's and kept sorting them on "i will always keep this", at some point i was like 'meh, i have them as mp3', and lost interest. I sold it all for $100 which i used to buy memory to expand my system with.

I regret it, but 23 hours of the day ,i do not regret it.

losing 15 years of stuff, oof!