How many Online Users does your board have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Let's take a day as average, how many visitors (members & guests & bots) does your board show?
Do you feel you have more guests online than registered members, or the other way around?
And does your hosting plan support that amount of activity or did you have to upgrade from shared to vps or even dedicated hosting?

We're a new community, and we have an average (in the last 6 months at least) of 5 to 10 members online, and 10 to 20 guests. The online average seems to be between 25 and 30. Which isn't too bad.

Now, to turn those users into posters, that's worth another discussion.

Looking forward to hear from you about your amount of online users.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
I'm on a VPS, one board of mine gets around 10 users logging in every day, 4 of those users who post, and every time i visit the site there's usually 3 or 4 guests online. If I tweet a topic I get more..

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Yeah, tweeting means that bots and services, spammers and indeed also your followers, will go remote poke or local poke the board for new data, crawl the rest of the site, or simply visit the thread. And visitors might turn into users, and users into posters, and posters into regulars. It's a little you get from tweets, but a good tweet about good content, is sometimes worth it.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I may get about 5 members loggin on daily, approx. But I've kind of neglected my site recently, I haven't bothered with it much because I've been waiting for Xenforo to become stable, which is taking longer than I expected. Once Xenforo goes stable, I'll start working on my site again and hopefully get it back to it's former glory =]

Mikey

Staff member
tbh not sure why you wait til xenforo goes stable. right now it's about as stable as it can be, the gold status is merely a formality at this point.

Vincent_imported

Trusted Member
+/- 10 members.

Yet, my project isn't fully developer, so once it is out to download I'm guessing it will raise to 50 or so, because it'll be very popular :D

SteveL

OMG Member
Im on shared at the moment. I have 140+ at this time and it is growing slowly but steadily. Online people will average about 5 to 10 members at various times of the day with a smattering of visitors almost constantly online. I have about 30 real regulars that post the majority of the time.

Most of my forum sections are closed to visitors so they cant see much that is there but that is by choice. Our forums are very focused on a specific subject. I may open them up to being viewable but not allow posting, read only. My staff is considering that at this moment.

Traffic is good at the site and is good enough that Im considering adding some ads somewhere to help generate some cash to offset the expenses. For the most part donations and subscriptions are paying the bills but as you all know, more is better than less.

marhits.JPG

This is normal traffic most days. March 8 was high because I released a new theme for the site. (theme made by ToDie4)

ragtek

OMG Member
www.ragtek.org/xenforo => 4 members daily :(
I have ~700-800 visitors daily on ragtek.org, but that's including my blogs too.
It dropped rapidly, since xenforo started, because i have now no more time for my blogs:D

Clydesdale

OMG Member
my site, www.cyclingforums.org gets about 1 member, me, and 20 guests from Japan, and a smattering of bots. I only get multiple members when I have tried a post exchange. I have found this to be a less than desirable method to up membership. Reason being is most are kids and dedicated fans of the site's topic.

Cezz

OMG Member
I have in average about 3-4 Memebers online but on average 40+ Guests.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I get maybe 1/2 members a day logging on :( and not many people posting at all. Sometimes I get 10 guests online at once though. I'm trying to revive my site :)

3rd Angle

OMG Member
I have around 15-20 members on average in my forum but guest could reach 50-60 if i post a link in facbook. I normally drive traffic from facebook. The main challenge is to convert these guest inot members and make them post in my forum..

I must confess, the total message when i was using vbulletin was not even 1000 after suing for more than 6 months but after converting to xenforo.. it's now clocked 18,260 :) It is slow but moving.

Clydesdale

OMG Member
I have around 15-20 members on average in my forum but guest could reach 50-60 if i post a link in facbook. I normally drive traffic from facebook. The main challenge is to convert these guest inot members and make them post in my forum..

I must confess, the total message when i was using vbulletin was not even 1000 after suing for more than 6 months but after converting to xenforo.. it's now clocked 18,260 :) It is slow but moving.
I have a facebook page for my site, Childhood Cancer Forums on Facebook, It has 1149 people who have "liked" it but not one single person has joined the actual site, www.childhoodcancerforums.com. IT is quite frustrating to say the least.

Mikey

Staff member
I have a facebook page for my site, Childhood Cancer Forums on Facebook, It has 1149 people who have "liked" it but not one single person has joined the actual site, www.childhoodcancerforums.com. IT is quite frustrating to say the least.

1149 people is an impressive facebook like figure for your forum :) I agree that it's quite frustrating when your likes aren't converting into members. Although that could be because all a user sees when visiting your site as a guest is a notice telling them to sign up :(

Then, upon further clicking around (which is what most people wont do) I get to the forums page, but I can't view any content.

I'm afraid that because I can't view any content (here is what I see), there isn't really anything to entice me to sign up to your forum. It also means that you aren't getting any Google Juice to drive search engine traffic your way for your niche.. which can't be helping matters at all.

Usually I will visit a site, read the topics on the site first, then if I want to reply to a topic, I will then sign up, make my reply and possibly become a return member, this is (I believe) how it works with most people on forums as well, so this could be a possible reason why your likes => members ratio is a little wonky.

Please don't take any of this post as criticism, maybe you have it set up this way for a reason? If so, personally, I would reconsider all of your permissions, and allow guests to view. I would also remove the portal that you have and install a hook for IPB which does the same thing, but only on top of the forums page (this one).. or simply upgrade to xenforo and use xenfans welcome blocks add on :) :)

Clydesdale

OMG Member
1149 people is an impressive facebook like figure for your forum :) I agree that it's quite frustrating when your likes aren't converting into members. Although that could be because all a user sees when visiting your site as a guest is a notice telling them to sign up :(

Then, upon further clicking around (which is what most people wont do) I get to the forums page, but I can't view any content.

I'm afraid that because I can't view any content (here is what I see), there isn't really anything to entice me to sign up to your forum. It also means that you aren't getting any Google Juice to drive search engine traffic your way for your niche.. which can't be helping matters at all.

Usually I will visit a site, read the topics on the site first, then if I want to reply to a topic, I will then sign up, make my reply and possibly become a return member, this is (I believe) how it works with most people on forums as well, so this could be a possible reason why your likes => members ratio is a little wonky.

Please don't take any of this post as criticism, maybe you have it set up this way for a reason? If so, personally, I would reconsider all of your permissions, and allow guests to view. I would also remove the portal that you have and install a hook for IPB which does the same thing, but only on top of the forums page (this one).. or simply upgrade to xenforo and use xenfans welcome blocks add on :) :)
Thank you for your comments! Originally the forum was 100% open for all to see, however even back then I couldn't get people to join and post when the facebook page was originally set up. I may try unlocking it again. The only members I have been able to land, are through a post exchange. However, those i have found are teenagers, who make 5 posts then leave.

I Won't give up.... ever....

Clydesdale

OMG Member

Good morning.
I have unlocked all forums for guests to read, but not post to. I hope this will get others to sign up.
Thanks again for the advise, and comments! They are much appreciated!!

3rd Angle

OMG Member
I don't use page or group in Facebook but use a personal account (open in the name of my site so that people will accept me as a friend easily)) and engage them in conversations. This way my credibility
also goes up in facebook and when i post links to my forum threads most of my friends or followers come through the links.

I am sure since your forum is about cancer there will be lots of takers. So try what i am doing and see the result. It will take some time but nevertheless it works. Good Luck friends.

Clydesdale

OMG Member
I don't use page or group in Facebook but use a personal account (open in the name of my site so that people will accept me as a friend easily)) and engage them in conversations. This way my credibility
also goes up in facebook and when i post links to my forum threads most of my friends or followers come through the links.

I am sure since your forum is about cancer there will be lots of takers. So try what i am doing and see the result. It will take some time but nevertheless it works. Good Luck friends.
Thank you for the advise! I will definitely try that.

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
The most people online ever at my forum would be 58 and of that most would have been bots and guests coming in from the search engines.

Most times, there are between 5 and 10 users online at any one moment on my forum, however lately things have been slower. So now there could be one or two real users online at a time.

I'm in the process of updating my forum, changing the focus somewhat. I think that will help get real users in. Maybe run some contests for posting or something like that.

Think i am pretty well set on bandwidth, so far no real problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.