Install xenforo in root or a sub directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simone_imported

OMG Member
I am not sure if I should install in the root of my domain or in a sub directory. I remember reading a post by Kier or Mike that it can be installed in both.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing in the root or sub directory?

Simone_imported

OMG Member
Thanks for your reply Gnatster.

This is for a new project and at the beginning I will start with the community section. (powered by xenforo)

I am just wondering if I install it in root will the rewrite rules in the .htaccess affect all sub directories within that domain?

For instance, if I install a gallery (non xenforo product) in www.mydomain.com/gallery later down the line, would the .htaccess form xenforo interfere with the new sub directory.

I was thinking perhaps the best way is to put xenforo in a sub directory called community and then put a 301 redirect in root until I am ready to expand.

Any advice welcome.

Brandon_imported

Trusted Member
on my site installing it in a directory I end up with /forums/forums/new-members.03/

so, that's obviously out. guess I will have to come up with another idea

Myster Dude

Trusted Member
Personely, since its on Beta, I'd start off by testing its functionality to see if it works smooth on my servers, so I'd make a private sub-daomin before making a live one on my site :)

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I decided since xenforo rewrites forum names to /forums/forum-name/ that i don't need to put it inside /forums/ and that putting it inside /community/ was overkill .. it would then be /community/forums/forum-name/

Blandt

OMG Member
It depends if you are having xenforo as a driver to your entire site, if it's the case then it must go in the root.
The gallery can have its own .htaccess ;)

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
I personally stuck it in root due to the /forums/forumname.id

like everyone else here I dont want /forums/forums/ - looks silly :)

Simone_imported

OMG Member
Thanks for all your replies.

In the end, I put it in the root as it makes sense to have the following /forums, /threads, /pages etc.

I hope one day in the future we can create our own nodes (or URL) with pages as at present they have to have /pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.