Mental Health

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Mental Health

SO seen as most of you know I am BiPolar I thought I'd start a health thread with a difference. This is for mental health. I have a few questions :)

Have any of you suffered at any time in your life with a mental health problem and what was it classed as?

I've suffered on and off with depression as they called it. However, a few years ago I was correctly diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder and more recently with stage 1 BiPolar. So, at least I know what I'm up against now.

Does the term "mental health" put you off replying?

Yes it does because it's old fashioned and sounds so serious.

Are you suffering at present with any mental health issues, if so what are they?

Yes, I will have BiPolar for the rest of my life and as far as I am concerned I have suffered form it since I was 13.

How do you cope with daily life?

I take each day as it comes and try my best not to stress out about the future and what things I need to do by making lists. Every time I think of something I have to do I put it down in a list then I don't have the stress of trying to remember all these things I need to do. Also me and my doctor try not to put too much presure on, so I am currently unermployed and actually signed off sick. This way I can cope with looking after my daughter and the things life throws at me as I don't have to worry about work.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Nix, I think it's quite brave and honest asking them, and answering them yourself. I appreciate it that you do so. Sorry to hear you're BiPolar, it doesn't like a picknick, and I know enough people who have it, or one of their family/friends.

My behavior qualifies enough to perhaps be BiPolar, but my life is complicated enough for me to want to find out ;) :D

Have any of you suffered at any time in your life with a mental health problem and what was it classed as?

No, but depression isn't new to me. Due to my albinism there's enough to process in regards to issues and disappointment that comes with it. A daily fight.

Yeah, kinda, because it sounds like something is wrong-wrong with you. While it's just human nature. People are how they are.

Are you suffering at present with any mental health issues, if so what are they?

Not that I am aware of.

The same as you, I take days as they come, and I do my best to be as positive as possible, without fooling myself. When things are not looking too happy, and I can tell myself I know better, that it's all temporary, and get a bit of grip in it: it's going to be ok, it's not that bad yet.

I had a few times in my life I locked down due to the events that happened. It was life changing enough.

Christopher

OMG Member
Good thread :) I think mostly everyone, either themselves or someone close to them, has been affected by a mental health problem in some shape or form.

I have no qualms with the term "mental health" really. I think in recent years (perhaps with the "Gen Y" crowd), the negative connotations have settled. The human condition is equally a physical and emotional machine, there's no use in denying it. Still, it's not something I'd want to advertise to the world either.

My biggest pet peeve is with people who don't consider these problems real problems. No naming names, but there are some people I've come across who just don't "get it" and don't make proper considerations for individuals suffering from these invisible ailments. I hate the ignorant snobbery of dismissing these issues as laziness, cowardice, stupidity or whatever-negative-character-trait.

Granted, mental conditions aren't to be used as a catch-all crutch, but they are very real and need to be accepted just as seriously as any physical health complication. In certain cases, simply living a facile life is much more difficult than a "normie" person could ever imagine. (The neologism "normie" here to represent the population who is more or less healthy. Though I think everyone has a few demons to battle, whether they admit it or not. No one is really normal ;))

Anyway, I don't feel comfortable being totally open here since the thread is so public ;)

Aussie

OMG Member
I'll play. Just cos I love ya Nix ;)

Started with bouts of depression and self harming when I was 12, but undiagnosed or treated until admission at 18. Later diagnosed with BiPolar II, which is a little different to what Nix has. I have more down time and my highs arnt as high. I tend to go hypomanic rather than full on manic, but the majority of the time I am depressed. Not always suicidal depression, it ranges from just a few notches down from ok to totally catatonic-like not functioning at all.

Nope. I've always been very open with mental health stuff on the net. Its always comforting to know there is someone out there who is going through a similar thing.

In a depressed phase at the moment. I went off meds back in may when I was manic (The docs were freaking out that the meds would make me too high so they said stop, except for the anti-psychotic but I stopped that too - hey I was fanfreakingtastic what did I need drugs for :p) but I stayed in that hypomania/mania for a while. Funtimes... but many regrets and liver troubles haha.

I went back to being 'normal' for a couple of weeks which was AMAZING! I could not believe how freaking EASY everything was. The last time I felt like that was when I was in high school - before all the hospitals and drugs. I wasnt high at all, nor any hint of depression (yeah I got sad at times, but not depressed). Seriously it was so good, and I really started to understand how and why people all around me were able to function so well and actually like living. Unfortunately it didnt last long, about 2-3 weeks. Since then has been extremely erratic, switching from manic to suicidal frequently.

I've been back into the depression for maybe a week and a half now with no manic/hypomanic episodes. Sometimes it gets really bad, but overall I know its not nearly as bad as it could be. So Im clinging to that. It could be worse.

Yeah.. umm I dont haha. At the moment anyway. Im kinda of trying to ignore it and hoping it will go away! I know that wont help, but Im so over being a slave to my emotions and stupid brain chemicals that wont behave. I drink a bit, but much less than I used to.

I need to be back on the drugs, and I do take one of the anti psychotics PRN but I havent started the other one cos Im kinda freaking out over it and they wont put me back on the old drugs cos there is no one to monitor me while my doc is away and like fuck Im going back to hospital. So basically Im going to have to ride it out for a month until my doc gets back, and then maybe I'll start back on the anti depressants and mood stabilizers under the close eye of my doc incase I start to tip manic again... ugh so complicated hahaha I think this has turned into Seroquel rambles!

Dude111

Premium Member
Is there anything wrong with being Bipolar??

It just means you have a short fuse right? (Dont have alot of paitence (Get mad @ the slightest thing))

I am the same way.. I am sick of the garbage quality in the world now.. I KNOW HOW GOOD STUFF WAS MADE IN THE 80S AND EARLIER and now all we have is TRASH/CRAP!!!

Less and less stuff i being made GOOD THESE DAYS and its sickening!! (The worst part is people accept this garbage)

I find myself blowing up QUITE OFTEN because of this alone!! (Its hard to hold onto the GOOD THINGS you remember and want NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CHEAP CRAP MADE TODAY!! (Thats what a PURIST is (Someone who demands QUALITY!!)))

I know what your going thru Nix,GOOD LUCK BUDDY :)

Floris

Staff member
You talk normal THEN YOU SHOUT IN CAPS ..

I think your capslock is bipolar :D

Aussie

OMG Member
Im trying to get off the meds now. Just over a year free of Lyrica. 15 months off antipsychotics (zeldox) and benzos. I was misdiagnosed and medicated at 18. The medication caused many of my symptoms, but doctors never supported coming off them safely. I was chemically tortured. My stomach is ruined. My lungs do not work all that well. I have a constant cough and ear problems, my eyes are damaged. My back is badly permanently damaged as they drugged me away from the pain and said push on. The screaming in my head was my body begging for me to stop and rest and acknowledge the extensive damage that was undiagnosed by the psychiatric system. A bulk billing (FREE) GP stopped the torture and got me a CT scan.

My family has clued in after chiropractic care and magnesium has improved my symptoms dramatically and visibly. I am lucky now that they are supporting me in a move for my long term health - out of a toxic city, into a secure, long term home.

Its been an extremely hard year. I cannot wait to finally get a chance to rest in a quiet place with a nice garden in a tiny tiny town near the bush, to live out my days.

Floris

Staff member
The last few years I have started to doubt my mental health more and more. Scary.