Moving away from Cable to Online streaming services?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Cable companies should be finding themselves under significant pressure to stay relevant. With the rise of streaming services like Hulu, Amazon Fire, and Netflix, television watchers are moving towards a means of watching their favorite shows devoid of commercials and, in many cases, for less money. Customers are beginning to realize, in large numbers, that having cable basically just means paying more to watch commercials that interrupt their favorite shows and prolong their entertainment. But aside from the cost efficiency, why is there such a run from the long-trusted and used cable companies? There are two other key reasons: the technological advancements of streaming services and the American lifestyle.

1418225136.png

Streaming services are at the forefront of technological advancement regarding home entertainment. Their speeds have only increased, and their libraries have continued to expand. They have become incredibly convenient and easy to use, and have made great use of the rise of smart TVs. Additionally, streaming services have been able to create high-quality original shows, as well as less-viewed shows that cater to certain niche groups of audiences Streaming services have even begun to be able to stream shows and sports events life, an ability that perhaps was the last reason to keep cable. Cable, on the other hand, has remained stagnant. The best thing that can be said about it, if anything, in the realm of technology, is that it has been able to keep up with picture advancements. However, it does not have as many services as streaming providers, nor does it have any niche attractions.

Our life is beginning to see it lending itself more to streaming services than cable as well. We are hardworking people, often with a hustle and bustle day-to-day life. They don't always have a lot of time, and when they do, they don't want to waste it. Streaming services cater to this by streamlining entertainment. There are no time-extensive commercials that interrupt and drag on a show by as much as 33%. Additionally, with streaming services, there is no scanning of a multitude of channels required. Most, if not all, have convenient search bars and categorized lists of shows.

All in all, it is becoming clear that cable is quickly turning into an obsolete thing of the past. Just like VHS players, DVD players, and satellite television before it, cable will be forced to give itself up to the more advanced streaming services of the future.

Cutting the cord is a good thing and a bad thing. Your ISP giving you the channels without having to think about anything, and your biggest worry is your remote. However, when you have to figure out all these online services, have a smart tv or something like an Apple TV to get it on your big uhd tv requires a bit of tinkering and tech knowledge. Additional costs. The cable or dish network can be expensive, but adding netflix on top of hbo, on top of mobile subscripts, it might just end up costing the same or more.

Knowing what you want, which convenience and compromise you're okay with, will help you decide to be more modern with online streaming services, vs sticking to the old "ill just let the isp and advertisers determine what i watch".

best-streaming-service-2.jpg

A sidenote, as a Dutch person I still have quite some issues with these legal online streaming services. Stuff just is not available. Licensing deals are a troublesome reality. You might air season 5 of a show. We will be on s03 or 04, that means it might not be on netflix yet, or only the first season.

Another problem I have with something like Netflix, is that it's just not complete. Futurama is offered here, but temporary, and only a few seasons. Not the first one, not the last one. Just 3 random ones. What?

But I have a bigger problem with regular cable tv being even more in control of "this show, that episode, this day, and that's it!" Especially when it comes with 15+ minutes of advertisements around it.

i can't wait for a future where you pay something like "the pirate bay" for a subscription, but it's actually the "tv industry" you're paying. So whatever you click to stream is actually legal, but, there.. it's available, it's legit.. it doesn't matter which country you're in.

Last edited: