Notepad: iMac update wish-list

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I could easily make a wish list for my iMac 2017 model that is filled with awesome expensive super duper tech stuff, hehe. But this thread is about me keeping track of things that I wish to buy that I can possibly afford after saving up for it a bit. But I don't want to forget. Plus, since it's a public thread maybe someone has a better or more affordable solution for me to consider.

In the next handful of years I wish to upgrade the memory. The system supports this with 4 slots. 2 are currently occupied. I think I can max it out at 64, and while that would be awesome, I would rather double the 8 to 16, or skip that step and invest in adding 2x 16gb.

Crucial has mac compatible ram that's been confirmed by others to work just fine.
http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Apple/imac-(retina-5k,-27-inch,-2017)-imac18,3
For around 300 euro it would allow me to add 2x 16gb to the system, making it 40, and still has room in the future to remove the 2x4 and add 2x8 or 2x16 to it once more.
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 14.35.38.png

Drive wise, for storage, I wouldn't mind investing in a high quality, high performance external drive that goes over usbc>sata3, hopefully in some sort of setup that i can use as hardware raid, but performance wise, and a much lower footprint are SSD drives. Crucial also has a few of those, i recently added the 525gb one, but i am hoping the prices of SSD continue to drop in the future and a 1TB could be added ~ ideally m.2/nvme chips without sata3 adapter, but a direct usbc->m.2 adapter cable, so i can really enjoy those speeds. Realistically right now if I had to buy another SSD, I would get another 525gb one and journal them together as 1 bigger 1tb drive for backing up to, storage, and extra disk for certain apps that i use for certain projects. They're all listed on the same link as above.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 14.39.36.png

I still have like 7 old hard drives lying around from 320gb to 1tb ones. And while a few are already connected on usb3, I rather not use up all my usb3 ports. I am considering to invest in an external bay that lets me connect to 1 usb3 port, but lets me mount 4 drives in them. My idea is to journal those together as 1 big drive and store my not-so-regularly-used media on there (and a manual backup). I found one for around 100 euro on amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...search_detailpage?tag=tecbri-20&ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 14.41.43.png

If someone has a better one for 100 euro, or one for 120 that takes 6 or 8 .. that would be great. I don't need a NAS, i just want to store my drives in there, read out their data, .. then format them clean and use as a new one single disk on my system. For some reason I have a bit of a hard time finding a good external 4 to 8 bay setup that is just about 100 euro .. every "good one" that i find ends up being a 400 euro nas solution. So I am open to suggestions.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
macOS High Sierra is out, the new APFS and HEVC, I am all in on that.
What I wish would come with it is a better firewall, but I use Little Snitch;
however, .. i am on an older version 3, not 4. eeks. next time i have $25 left over i will go get a license upgrade.
Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 15.02.14.png