People using Report button to reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veer

OMG Member
Mar 18, 2011
Let me tell you one thing from my forum :p I got few reports and I became excited to see the reported content but I was surprised that they were replying to the thread by clicking report button :mad: What should I do?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
Hey Veer, nice to see you again. And yikes! Yeah. This used to happen with the vBulletin forum as well. Once the blog reply option was available the post replies became blog replies. I turned that off rather quickly.

One thing you can do is tell the user that they are accidentally using the "report" rather than the "reply" feature. Educate them, to prevent them from doing so again.

Another option is perhaps to Make the reply link marked up, so it stands out more. A blue background and blue border for example. And make the "report" link a grey, so it's more text and people scan over it more easily.

Finally you could perhaps make multiple usergroups. Users with low amount of posts perhaps shouldn't have the report permission, but as an additional privilege to those who have been around the board, you could give them the report option.

1.1 of XenForo supports user promotions. You could create one based on registration date & amount of posts. To auto upgrade them to this more advanced usergroup.

Reactions: 2 people

Veer

OMG Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hi Floris, thanks for sharing great ideas :) I'll give it a try.

We can try one more thing by changing Report phrase to "Report to staff"

Reactions: 3 people

Coronel Bobba

OMG Member
Aug 8, 2011
You can do another thing, like Turn that Like/Reply text into CSS Buttons. This way it's more easy they click the right place!

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.