[Request] Ability to Star a Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
As a team member on various sites I have always run into the issue of having to make a note of certain threads that I would like to sort of 'unread', but marking it unread isn't the solution - I want them to stay read, I did read them afterall, but I want to mark them somehow so I gather these ones up and get back to them when I have the time. Mod jobs are split into various tasks, reading and responding is separate than coming back to it for mod management, or whatever. I am not making sense anymore am I?

Ok, what I would like is the ability to sort of favorite a thread, not just like it, not just mark it as unread, but the ability to either as end-user collect my most favorite threads, or as team member to mark them quickly so I have a page listing them, and that should be enough of a reminder for me to go back to that thread and do what I was planning on doing with them.

A short and simple feature that I hope one day makes it as a default feature, but until then, perhaps easy for someone to create.

I invision this as an empty light gray outlined star icon somewhere on the thread list or thread's page, and just clicking it would mark it a subtle yellow color. My account page would have a 'starred content' listing all these (with pagination). The thread starter or others shouldn't be able to see if their thread got starred - it's a personal thing. Popular content can after all be determined via the amount of likes.

vlada

OMG Member
I think that the ability to start a discussion is the very complicated task. I think that the main problem that impedes to start a discussion on the private level is the writer's block. Even the professional writers are experiencing sometimes such block.

Floris

Staff member
I think that the ability to start a discussion is the very complicated task. I think that the main problem that impedes to start a discussion on the private level is the writer's block. Even the professional writers are experiencing sometimes such block.

You're completely getting it wrong :) I think they read the title and not the actual post :p

I said "star" and it wasn't a typo hehe.

As a team member on various sites I have always run into the issue of having to make a note of certain threads that I would like to sort of 'unread', but marking it unread isn't the solution - I want them to stay read, I did read them afterall, but I want to mark them somehow so I gather these ones up and get back to them when I have the time. Mod jobs are split into various tasks, reading and responding is separate than coming back to it for mod management, or whatever. I am not making sense anymore am I?

Ok, what I would like is the ability to sort of favorite a thread, not just like it, not just mark it as unread, but the ability to either as end-user collect my most favorite threads, or as team member to mark them quickly so I have a page listing them, and that should be enough of a reminder for me to go back to that thread and do what I was planning on doing with them.

A short and simple feature that I hope one day makes it as a default feature, but until then, perhaps easy for someone to create.

I invision this as an empty light gray outlined star icon somewhere on the thread list or thread's page, and just clicking it would mark it a subtle yellow color. My account page would have a 'starred content' listing all these (with pagination). The thread starter or others shouldn't be able to see if their thread got starred - it's a personal thing. Popular content can after all be determined via the amount of likes.

Actually, the ironic thing is I was thinking of doing this exact thing after I finished my updates. :D haha. It'll get me more into MVC, and learning. Always a good thing.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Floris, you still want this? I was thinking about doing this similar mod for my site to make it easier on my staff.

Floris

Staff member
I miss coding! I hope to find time again soon to jump back into PHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.