[Request] Convert SMF to XenF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveL

OMG Member
I am ready to buy XenF but my current site is running SMF 1.1.12. It is a small site with only about 50 members and less than a 1000 posts. Like I said it is a small site so far. Still, I would hate to lose the hours of work setting the site up. So, the question would be can you convert SMF to XenF?

Thanks

Vincent_imported

Trusted Member
There is no direct SMF 1 -> XenForo importer, but I guess the guys from XenFans.com can convert from SMF 1 -> XenFans System -> XenForo :)

SteveL

OMG Member
Hello Steve, I see you followed my advice on the Contentteller forums to ask here. :cool:
Yeah, Ive been working for a day or so now trying to get ContentT to work nicely with XenF or viceversa. So far mixed reviews.... I like both as both are very powerful pieces of software but Im pretty sure at this point that XenF does everything that I need for my site by itself. I dont think I need the ContentT cms at all.

SteveL

OMG Member
My original question still stands though, can XenFans staff do the transfer for I think $29? ;)

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Hi Steve,

If you are able to give me the .sql dump (in private) then I can do a free test to convert from SMF to XF.
If my test fails you owe me nothing, if the convert went ok and you like it, you can pay me $29.

I believe we support SQL from SMF to XF, just can't guarantee it for your specific version :)

Hope to hear from you soon, and thank you for your interest in our services. And DW; thanks for the referral :)

SteveL

OMG Member
Thanks Floris, I will be in touch soon as Im ready to make the jump which will be real soon. I will get with you in PM.

;)Steve

SteveL

OMG Member
Thanks DW!! I am purchasing the forum today and will test it out in private then look at getting the convert done as soon as Im comfortable with the backend!! Shouldnt take long and I will put up a link once it is live on my main site!!

My thanks again to all the helpful people here and at XenForo

Floris

Staff member
We haven't heard from you - if you've contacted us but haven't heard back from us please let me know and I will go look into it.

SteveL

OMG Member
LOL, sorry for taking so long. I have been working with the test site and just a couple of minutes ago I just sent a mass email to all my active members letting them know the old site is coming down.

So, Im ready I think (crosses fingers)

What do you need from me? A copy of the db that I use for the smf forum?

Also, if this all works and Im sure it will since I know that if worse comes to worse it can be imported to vB then to XenF I would really appeciate details on what I do with what you send me back. ie, I would assume that I install XenF as per usual and then what?

Think of me as the newb that I really am!! ;)

Thanks again Floris!!

//Steve

Floris

Staff member
Hey Steve,

Glad to hear you're ready for a try with the SMF board, let's continue this in a private msg, so we can talk specifics.

I hope we can help out. :)

Floris

Staff member
The SMF -> XenFans-InHouse -> XenForo Convert has completed, we can do it for you so it seems. You've received an update with preview details for members.xenfans.com; now it's just a matter of if you like the convert or not. At the moment this is the best we can do :)

SteveL

OMG Member
Thanks Floris, will check it out in a few minutes!! Mucho Thanks!!!

SteveL

OMG Member
The conversion went very well. I had a look around it and was impressed with the fact that most of the site remained intact. All the node (forum) structure and content was as it should be. Some attachments and avatars were lost but that is not an issue. Permissions need to be adjusted but Im very happy with the outcome!

Floris

Staff member
The conversion went very well. I had a look around it and was impressed with the fact that most of the site remained intact. All the node (forum) structure and content was as it should be. Some attachments and avatars were lost but that is not an issue. Permissions need to be adjusted but Im very happy with the outcome!

I simply do not know how SMF stores the attachments, it's quite possible if they're in the file system actually that we can manage to write the import path for the binary data. But I would need additional sample data.

SteveL

OMG Member
I killed the old site (sql backups of course) so I cant check the structure but I could put one up later on my test site once Im done with my move! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.