Spyware and privacy?

Mallix

OMG Member
HP just announced they have a keystroke logger in their audio drivers, so it looks like spyware isn't something that comes in from bad sources anymore. With Sony adding a rootkit to its DRM a year or so back, how concerned are you about data being taken?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Not feeling it yet that it affects me personally, but I am quite concerned how long they get away with it. And that it takes people specifically looking for it to find these companies doing this - and then probably hiding behind "some rogue employee" or "chinese infected driver caused this" or whatever. Nah, they are aware, corps love analytics and abuse their powers to achieve what is beyond reasonable. Look at Windows 10 for business, most privacy settings are ignored. Turn it off, still shares your data.. common now.

Netgear just announced their new firmware for the r7000 router (which I have and many of my friends and family) will now have a feature specifically for collecting your ip, your mac addresses, and an overview of your devices (who knows, what they dont tell you they collect) .. It's none of their business. I won't be upgrading, and I will probably flash to some custom firmware in the near future.

These companies get away with a lot, and are surprised that they get targeted more and more by malicious people