Strange Strange Notices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronel Bobba

OMG Member
I have an straaange problem with notices.

It's about the time, I defined 5500 in the Style Prop.

But in the forum when there's more than a Notice it's like:
1st notice: 2 sec for change to next
2nd notice: 5.5sec for change to next.
Etc... Etc...

If i like, change window and open again the forum window, the Notices get right:
1st notice: 5.5sec
2nd notice: 5.5sec

Soo I ask, what can cause this problem? I tryed diferent browsers =/

Fuhrmann

OMG Member
I think in the BETA 5 this is already fixed. Can you test? Is this fixed?

Coronel Bobba

OMG Member
I think in the BETA 5 this is already fixed. Can you test? Is this fixed?
I gona tell my admin to upgrade for see if this issue is gona to be fixed now. :D

But since I saw in xenforo.com they say a fix in next beta, that came out few days ago.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Internet Explorer is the new Netscape anyway ;)

Floris

Staff member
Yeah, that's the argument people keep using.

But, if you have 100 people, and you give 90 people gold, except the 10 that use IE, I bet you that those 10 will switch to get the gold.

XenForo is a modern product, it's a modern world. And it's pretty freaking gold.

I've completely stopped supporting internet explorer, if someone complaints a site doesn't work the solution is simple: Install a free cross operating system and more modern browser like Chrome for example, and enjoy the net like it's intended. Rather than sticking to a shit product because of others having the same fear of chance.

The same with bandwidth caps.
The telecom providers say that only x % is using less than 100 mbyte month, but the reason most likely is because they're afraid of bills.

In the Netherlands we shows telecom and isp that we go over our limits, change providers, pay with our wallet, and the majority has 24mbit internet or better, even 50k households with 1gbit, and nobody has a traffic limit.

If we accept caps, throttling, and things like supporting outdated crap computers, browsers and what not .. they will continue to cap you, continue to use win98, continue to use ie6, etc.

Use what you want, when you want it, because it's available. Let someone else have a bandwidth cap, a shit browser, and a poor end-user experience.

I never understood the reasoning of 'we can not upgrade'.

But after hearing the same arguments for 10+ years on the Internet, I might just not be listening to it anymore either.

Nothing personal against you - but I would just advise to your users : The reason is because your browser doesn't support the basics of html/css/javascript. And it's a website. To load a web site in 2011, get a browser that does.

If you are afraid it's costing you users, why not use phpBB from 3 years ago?

I think an admin lingering on that 20% should realize that supporting outdated stuff like Internet explorer will lose more users than sites that understand it's 2011.

Coronel Bobba

OMG Member
Yeah, that's the argument people keep using.

But, if you have 100 people, and you give 90 people gold, except the 10 that use IE, I bet you that those 10 will switch to get the gold.

XenForo is a modern product, it's a modern world. And it's pretty freaking gold.

I've completely stopped supporting internet explorer, if someone complaints a site doesn't work the solution is simple: Install a free cross operating system and more modern browser like Chrome for example, and enjoy the net like it's intended. Rather than sticking to a shit product because of others having the same fear of chance.

The same with bandwidth caps.
The telecom providers say that only x % is using less than 100 mbyte month, but the reason most likely is because they're afraid of bills.

In the Netherlands we shows telecom and isp that we go over our limits, change providers, pay with our wallet, and the majority has 24mbit internet or better, even 50k households with 1gbit, and nobody has a traffic limit.

If we accept caps, throttling, and things like supporting outdated crap computers, browsers and what not .. they will continue to cap you, continue to use win98, continue to use ie6, etc.

Use what you want, when you want it, because it's available. Let someone else have a bandwidth cap, a shit browser, and a poor end-user experience.

I never understood the reasoning of 'we can not upgrade'.

But after hearing the same arguments for 10+ years on the Internet, I might just not be listening to it anymore either.

Nothing personal against you - but I would just advise to your users : The reason is because your browser doesn't support the basics of html/css/javascript. And it's a website. To load a web site in 2011, get a browser that does.

If you are afraid it's costing you users, why not use phpBB from 3 years ago?

I think an admin lingering on that 20% should realize that supporting outdated stuff like Internet explorer will lose more users than sites that understand it's 2011.

In Many People, they use Internet in their Work, School, etc... In That kind of computers, IE is the defeaut and we can't change it. Then it's complicated.

And IE 9 still be good for alot of people, my sister got FF, Chrome and IE, and it still uses IE by defeaut, it's an matter of choose.

IE still get updated, it's not lost in the time, and one of the more used browsers of the world, the websites must be compatible with it. It's an matter of what people prefer, and 20% of our site means more than 2 thousand IE users every day.

iTuN3R

OMG Member
In Many People, they use Internet in their Work, School, etc... In That kind of computers, IE is the defeaut and we can't change it. Then it's complicated.

And IE 9 still be good for alot of people, my sister got FF, Chrome and IE, and it still uses IE by defeaut, it's an matter of choose.

IE still get updated, it's not lost in the time, and one of the more used browsers of the world, the websites must be compatible with it. It's an matter of what people prefer, and 20% of our site means more than 2 thousand IE users every day.

Ye University/college-campus computers only use IE by default so we can't do much about that and i hate when things doesn't work . I am pretty sure if you have most students on board that would piss them off.

Floris

Staff member
I agree that they believe it's complicated to change things.
I just think it's them holding themselves back. Their loss.
If something doesn't work perfect, it's a consequence they clearly accepted.
If they want it to work; use a browser that's compliant with html5/css2.1 and current javascript.

iTuN3R

OMG Member
Ye well every freaking computer in public libraries has same problem .

Not sure when they will update those old machines.

Floris

Staff member
They don't have to update (even though they should, if they can run IE, they can run Chrome..)
But users using outdated systems should 100% realize that they accept the compromise and consequences.

The source code is fine, the browser doesn't present it properly. Why should the source code make a patch to support browsers ..

iTuN3R

OMG Member
They don't have to update (even though they should, if they can run IE, they can run Chrome..)
But users using outdated systems should 100% realize that they accept the compromise and consequences.

The source code is fine, the browser doesn't present it properly. Why should the source code make a patch to support browsers ..

Well it's not upto students and it will take forever for those Education district office to understand such things .

Status
Not open for further replies.