VPS Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Ok I found a host that uses SolusVM but I have no idea what I can install webhost wise as a control panel so I can add sites, etc.

So any suggestions or guides to installing webhost control panels to SolusVM or a guide that provides SSH commands and such to switch from SolusVM to OpenVZ?

Thanks

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Ok I take that back, smart ass stuff like that I really don't welcome at this stressful point of setting up an important part of my site.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I never use control panels, I use ssh directly. I am not familiar with those virtualization terms though.
If they are linux kernels, the majority of the ssh commands are the same. However, configuring something that has an integrated control panel on top of it, does not always lead the desired results.

If these are web sites you run, and you're not like a web host to your friends or customers, perhaps something that's like a gui to the cli, such as webmin might be light weight and still allows apache configuration etc. Otherwise things like cpanel come to mind, but I am just not familiar enough with it. I prefer doing things from the command line directly.

Ok I take that back, smart ass stuff like that I really don't welcome at this stressful point of setting up an important part of my site.

For the record, my host has broken my site and in turn, we are losing possible thousands of dollars. That's what I'm dealing with while given you links that answer 1-2 or your questions. On top of working a second part time job during school. My stress level is quite high right now.

kuyenmotdivad

OMG Member
Ok I found a host that uses SolusVM but I have no idea what I can install webhost wise as a control panel so I can add sites, etc.

So any suggestions or guides to installing webhost control panels to SolusVM or a guide that provides SSH commands and such to switch from SolusVM to OpenVZ?

Thanks

Never used this control panel before, but I have an idea, who hosts you maybe they could setup all of it for you... I tried searching some search engines but theres no tutorials for that control panel and i've only used cpanel and plesk before.

Blandt

OMG Member
OpenVZ is ok if the price is considerably cheaper.

I would recommend XEN if the price is not too much

Steven Moore

OMG Member
For the record, my host has broken my site and in turn, we are losing possible thousands of dollars. That's what I'm dealing with while given you links that answer 1-2 or your questions. On top of working a second part time job during school. My stress level is quite high right now.
This is off subject and honestly in this thread I don't really care about your life. Sorry to be so blunt but my questions above are a bit more important to getting genuine answers than your personal life or smart ass replies.

I never use control panels, I use ssh directly. I am not familiar with those virtualization terms though.
If they are linux kernels, the majority of the ssh commands are the same. However, configuring something that has an integrated control panel on top of it, does not always lead the desired results.

If these are web sites you run, and you're not like a web host to your friends or customers, perhaps something that's like a gui to the cli, such as webmin might be light weight and still allows apache configuration etc. Otherwise things like cpanel come to mind, but I am just not familiar enough with it. I prefer doing things from the command line directly.
Hmmm, I don't need heavy stuff but if you have a list or some site that has a list of specific commands that would help me along then I will run it command line only then.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, appreciate and please keep the suggestions coming.

Blandt

OMG Member
SSH commands varies (small differences) from one distribution to another.

Go with ubuntu, the community is very active and you don't have to compile anything ...

a simple google search on how to do anything with ubuntu will give you tons of how tos :)

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Ooooh good idea, I forgot about Ubuntu. I may install that and go with it for doing all my stuff, I believe Ubuntu has a command list on their site as well.

Cheers ben, thanks.

Floris

Staff member
If you have any questions about an SSH command, let us know :)

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I do, I found out that there is a virtual panel that I can install just for Ubuntu, mainly want it to maintain email and ftp accounts. But having trouble getting the package install. It uses aptitude but apitude is not recognized. Is there a specific way of installing packages with Ubuntu that I missed?

This is off subject and honestly in this thread I don't really care about your life. Sorry to be so blunt but my questions above are a bit more important to getting genuine answers than your personal life or smart ass replies.

Actually it was quite relevant because if you'd have read the quote and followed the links (the first link on each of the searches were to the first site) you'd have answered your question. Did you need to switch from SolusVM to OpenVZ -> No, because it has support... Trust me when I say I understand stress. When you start making money off of your site, become dependent on it, and it breaks, then you can preach about helpful answers being unhelpful in a "time" of stress. This is the last post I'll make in here, because frankly, I see no point in helping you when you refuse to help yourself.

Floris

Staff member
Please both play nice. I understand you both see the post differently, it's not worth ruining the thread over.

Moving on ..

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Righto Floris, I have found that I was using the wrong thing to try an install. But now to find packages I need to install to get the GUI working.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I sent you a PC King Kovifor

And in this thread I want to apologies to KK for my obscene behavior, just frustrated and should have left it off the board. Sorry to those who had to read that side of me.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Actually it was quite relevant because if you'd have read the quote and followed the links (the first link on each of the searches were to the first site) you'd have answered your question. Did you need to switch from SolusVM to OpenVZ -> No, because it has support... Trust me when I say I understand stress. When you start making money off of your site, become dependent on it, and it breaks, then you can preach about helpful answers being unhelpful in a "time" of stress. This is the last post I'll make in here, because frankly, I see no point in helping you when you refuse to help yourself.
Actually OpenVZ is the OS which I have switched to Ubuntu and SolusVM is the monitoring panel. So your search really didn't return much that would be useful in terms of commands to install certain things, it told me what to use but their site doesn't provide a package search unlike Ubuntu. Anyway, I understand the money loss, been there, done that. I can sympathize with you there and I hope it gets fixed soon. When you depend on a site to bring in money you need, then it becomes a headache when things break and your host hasn't fixed it yet.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I feel like such a newb, I forgot to run the update script to grab all the packages. *hides*

Floris

Staff member
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

on Ubuntu for the current version.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Yep, I'm such an idiot for not doing that. LOL

Now I'm installing ISPConfig but ran into an error but found a bypass for now then go back to after install.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
An update: after I finished installing everything I found out that my memory was being eaten so I am upgrading my account to accommodate for the new processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.