What's the normal procedure for selling a license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgeboard

OMG Member
I've been approached by someone on here who I don't know wanting to buy my vB license for $95 (full suite + blogs for 3.x) . But they want me to initiate the transfer and they will pay after the transfer is complete. I kind of feel this leave me holding the bag. Is this the normal procedure or should we get payment prior to initiating transfer.

If supplied all the screenshots showing it is valid, current and eligible for transfer but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I think it's nothing but fair to pay 50% up front, rather than 100% afterwards. You run the full risk, and no way to come back from it. If you're playing them, they loose out 50% - a risk they should be willing to take buying secondhand. And if they are playing you, you get 50% - a risk you're willing to take.

Step 1, go to vBulletin.com and open a support ticket from the members' area, requesting info about your license ahead of a transfer. Asking them "I am looking to transfer one of my licenses, #NUMBER, and I want to confirm that it's eligible for a transfer. If it is eligible, which information do you require from me to get that process started? (my info, info you want me to ask the potential buyer)".

Step 2, review their response, and if it is eligible review if you a) want to sell it, and b) have the information they're looking for. And either move forward with things or not.

Step 3, if you decide to sell it, you can provide the license number (so NOT the customer number NOR any passwords) to the potential buyer, telling them they can confirm with vBulletin that the license is eligible and if they still want it to transfer 50% or 100% of the sale to you; After which you will start the transfer request.

< don't forget to uninstall vB from the locations it's running on >

Step 4, when you receive at least 50% of the money upfront, you can provide vBulletin in the ticket the info to get the transfer initiated, and either include the potential buyers info, or request them to provide it. The info being whatever vBulletin asks for.

Step 5, wait for vBulletin to complete the transfer, they will want you to 1) confirm you want to transfer it, and b) ask the potential buyer if they are certain and agree to any EULA, etc)

Step 6, when it's been completed, get the other 50%.

Buying and selling secondhand always comes with a risk. There are always scammers being utter douches trying to get someone to provide them with more info than they should share, or steal a license without paying, or sell one that's not actually real. The risk is at both parties, and you will only know afterwards of any traps or successful transfers.

I've done many in my lifetime with vBulletin and they have been successful. But I have always said no to every transfer that I had any doubts against. Don't feel comfortable with the person, they're not willing to provide the info you want? They are too cocky, and trying to speed things up without reason? Nah, whatever, moving on..

Best of luck.

The Pet Board

OMG Member
It would be cool if someone set up a broker site for selling licenses. I know that bitcoin has some broker sites that hold everything in the middle until it clears then distribute the money once the transaction has gone through. Business idea anyone?

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
I think it's nothing but fair to pay 50% up front, rather than 100% afterwards. You run the full risk, and no way to come back from it. If you're playing them, they loose out 50% - a risk they should be willing to take buying secondhand. And if they are playing you, you get 50% - a risk you're willing to take.

Step 1, go to vBulletin.com and open a support ticket from the members' area, requesting info about your license ahead of a transfer. Asking them "I am looking to transfer one of my licenses, #NUMBER, and I want to confirm that it's eligible for a transfer. If it is eligible, which information do you require from me to get that process started? (my info, info you want me to ask the potential buyer)".

Step 2, review their response, and if it is eligible review if you a) want to sell it, and b) have the information they're looking for. And either move forward with things or not.

Step 3, if you decide to sell it, you can provide the license number (so NOT the customer number NOR any passwords) to the potential buyer, telling them they can confirm with vBulletin that the license is eligible and if they still want it to transfer 50% or 100% of the sale to you; After which you will start the transfer request.

< don't forget to uninstall vB from the locations it's running on >

Step 4, when you receive at least 50% of the money upfront, you can provide vBulletin in the ticket the info to get the transfer initiated, and either include the potential buyers info, or request them to provide it. The info being whatever vBulletin asks for.

Step 5, wait for vBulletin to complete the transfer, they will want you to 1) confirm you want to transfer it, and b) ask the potential buyer if they are certain and agree to any EULA, etc)

Step 6, when it's been completed, get the other 50%.

Buying and selling secondhand always comes with a risk. There are always scammers being utter douches trying to get someone to provide them with more info than they should share, or steal a license without paying, or sell one that's not actually real. The risk is at both parties, and you will only know afterwards of any traps or successful transfers.

I've done many in my lifetime with vBulletin and they have been successful. But I have always said no to every transfer that I had any doubts against. Don't feel comfortable with the person, they're not willing to provide the info you want? They are too cocky, and trying to speed things up without reason? Nah, whatever, moving on..

Best of luck.

A brilliant tutorial! I think this idea could work for ANY forum software license and a must read. I'm gonna bookmark your post and link to if i ever get the same question posed to me on my own forum/other forums. It's worth rereading. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.