Who's using APC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Do you use APC or any other tricks to increase xenforo performance?

imported_Brian

OMG Member
Yes, I do. I have it installed on my dedicated box. Better technologies = ftw so why not?

As for other tricks to increase server performance? A few as such;

-Tune the db settings - memory available for indexes, joins, sorts, max connections, timeouts)

-Tune forum settings - topic marking, who's online timescale. Does XenForo use it's own caching?

-Compress / optimize all .js, .css and .php files.

kuyenmotdivad

OMG Member
I have APC install but am not using it for the moment until XF goes out of beta releases.

melbo

OMG Member
I'm using APC on my xentest alongside vB and vBSEO on a VPS. No problems except when I import a style: cache slams

Floris

Staff member
Does anybody know if Beta 4 of XenForo introduces any changes to the APC configuration stuff for config.php?

Floris

Staff member
I'm using APC on my xentest alongside vB and vBSEO on a VPS. No problems except when I import a style: cache slams

Upgrade to Beta 4, which should have a work around for this. And let me know if it is fixed.
The future release of APC should have this addressed as well.

melbo

OMG Member
OK, just ran the upgrade to b4. I attempted to leave APC running and got cache slams when I ran the upgrade script. Commented APC out and ran the upgrade with no problems.

Tested the board and even changed some styling a bit and then went and uncommented APC in config.php. Had problems in the site and in the admin CP. Bad rendering, errors, "board needs to be upgraded", etc.

restarted apache (and with it APC), and everythign is fine now. I'm really hoping they get APC usage in xF a little more refined. I'll try to upload a style and see what happenes with APC running.

Floris

Staff member
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear you are still having problems with APC. I am glad beta4 and apache/apc restart helped fixed a few problems.

Do you have config.php set to use APC? This is what I use currently:

PHP:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;

$config['cache']['frontend'] = 'Core';

$config['cache']['frontendOptions'] = array(
                                        'caching'                      => true,
                                        'automatic_serialization'      => true,
                                        'lifetime'                      => 10800,
                                        'cache_id_prefix' => 'fans'
);

$config['cache']['backend'] = 'Apc';

melbo

OMG Member
Yep, I think I grabbed it from you awhile back. It's not a huge problem, just surprised it doesn't work more smoothly on upgrades, style imports and add-ons.

Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['frontend'] = 'Core';
$config['cache']['frontendOptions'] = array(
                                        'caching'                                => true,
                                        'automatic_serialization'      => true,
                                        'lifetime'                                 => 10800,
                                        'cache_id_prefix' => 'xen'
);
$config['cache']['backend'] = 'Apc';

I just commented this whole part of config.php out with /* */ during the problems

melbo

OMG Member
I did just try a test style import with APC in config.php and it worked on b4!

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
Yep i do also use apc

question why are you adding that to the config? my opcode cache's without the config details you have

Floris

Staff member
Not sure what you mean :/

But here is the config.php I use on rc2 here on xenfans.com, am I missing something?

Screen%20shot%202011-02-10%20at%204.41.06%20PM.png

Vodkaholic

OMG Member
Yea what i mean is why did you add that code to the config
I have not added any of that code to my config and my apc is still caching the file's
so my question is what does that code do?
Sorry my English is not great :(

Floris

Staff member
APC will work on your PHP files just fine, and tries to cache it as possible, for ipb, vb, wordpress, whatever you write yourself.

However, enabling the core engine of xenforo to use caching, and pointing out some of the settings, while giving it a domain unique prefix, helps optimize it. It's not required.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
APC is now configured to work on my site. I must say that, I can't notice that much of a difference :-/ I'm sure it's quicker, but not noticeable. By the way all the articles sounded I expected it run at lightning speed lol.

Floris

Staff member
You are a new site. Get 50+ users online and it will still feel fast, get 150+ online and it will still feel fast.

Not noticing it being slow, is the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.