XenForo and Banned Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
By default banned users aren't visible to the staff/members, and there is no banned usergroup: Not something we're used to!

How do you deal with this, how do you manage banned users? Have you customized your template perhaps or made different instructions towards your moderators?

How do you allow moderators to ban users now, using the spam tool or some sort of internal system?

Curious to see what your response to this way of dealing with xenforo and banned users.

vlada

OMG Member
As the banned users are spammers in the most cases then the best way to deal with such types is to use the spam tools. In any event it will give you prompt and effective solution to the problem.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
I havent had to ban a user on a XenForo community yet, I'd probably also create a banned group, just cos that's how I'm used to.

VonDoom

OMG Member
All my usergroups were ported to XF so there is nothing really different for me. Ive always banned spammers and trolls from the ACP by switching their usergroup.. Only thing that bummed me out was my IP bans that didnt make the port.

Floris

Staff member
I am happy to say that I never had to use such a system in xenforo. On my old boards I only need to ban spammers. So I think if I would ever have porblems with spammers on my xenforo board I would use the spam tools to manage that.

Vincent_imported

Trusted Member
I think it sucks that Moderators can't ban :(
I just give them the admin right and set their title as 'Moderator'.

I really hope the 'move to usergroup' function will be there soon, but yeah, we'll have to wait :(

Yet, I've not been able to ban someone yet, since noone spams at my forum (yet ;))

James_imported

OMG Member
Sorry to bump an old thread. I don't actually deal with them at all (because my site isn't live) but for everyone recommending a banned usergroup - you could run a cron job every so often to move these banned users to the relevant usergroup.

Floris

Staff member
Yeh, you can. But I don't see anything wrong now with someone showing as a registered member, with a valid account. But with a banned status. Their admin.php profile page has 'lift ban', and status will show as 'banned'.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
I never know .. as a user .. when a user has been banned on a XenForo site. This is the way it should be, imo. Users don't need to know that user x has been banned for y days for breaking z rule.. It creates negativity which you simply don't need.

Of course if you as an admin want to be super sneaky, simply discourage the user with user discouragement.

Floris

Staff member
It's those situations where people sign up on a new IP, new username, and think the staff doesn't see them from miles away that you wish XenForo had a user-merge feature. I should probably start thinking about how we'd deal with that on XenFans as the site is growing; create a policy for it with the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.