XenForo reaches next milestone: Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
NOTICE: Please note that this thread contains all our news articles about the XenForo RC releases, beta and stable releases are in different release-threads. They're all worth a read. Feel free to leave feedback

XenForo version 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1 Released

XenForo Limited released their latest update, quite quickly after Beta 6 last week, despite still dealing with two lawsuits against them. Release Candidate 1 is released, fixing bugs and introducing a few feature-tweaks. XenFans assumes that during the RC period there is what we could consider a feature-freeze, meaning the focus is on performance, optimization and finalizing existing features, options, permissions, etc. Rather than the beta period which allows for new features to be introduced.

"XenForo 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1 moves us one step closer to a stable release. This release includes a number of bug fixes, as well as a few small feature changes. The focus is now solely on working towards a stable release. We'd like to thank all our customers and everyone else who has helped us to reach this milestone.", XenForo Limited.
Here at XenFans we were hoping for a Christmas gold release, or at least RC, but January isn't bad at all - we can assume that the overwhelming amount of feedback from (potential) customers added to the workload. As well as their focus being forced on responding to the claims filed against them. Patience is not needed as the early betas run very well on our live web site, as it does on many others. It's our opinion from experience that this has certainly been the most stable beta product in the forum market that we've seen.

Full release thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-release-candidate-1.10808/

Please note that this is still unsupported software, so please choose wisely if you want to either test it, convert from IPB / phpBB / vBulletin (or whatever), or run it live on your site. We strongly recommend you first back up all your databases and files, and other data, then do a full test, and optionally consider contacting the XenFans team if you need help converting from another product to XenForo or want us to do the first time installation or an upgrade from beta to RC. XFL's members' area offers a full download .zip as well as an optimized upgrade package.

Newly introduced to the release candidate's first build are, among other improvements and bug fixes:
- Style descriptions and preview thumbnails
- Feeder preview
- Twitter integration via tweet buttons
- Discouraged IP management (preventing registration)
- New option(s) for the lightbox
- Improvements to the In-line (overlay) message editor (such as resizable and visual markup)

XenFans.com has updated their convert service to support the release candidates (no price increase) and their internal development area to support product development. Our newly created admin demo will be RC1 as well. The public web site is scheduled to be upgraded after the weekend due to my birthday on the 21st of January.

We are looking for article writers and xenforo developers, if you want to earn a bit of money writing for us please contact us and we can discuss what we can mean for each others. With the stable release a step closer we're looking forward to expanding our site content as well.

And we are looking for your feedback about XenForo, our web site, and your own community. Please let us know what your thoughts and experiences are. If you have any questions about RC1, we can write documentation, step by step guides, or create a visual walkthrough video (at no cost) - just let us know.

Have fun installing, upgrading or converting your community to Release Candidate 1. XenForo support is free, and available on http://xenfans.com/ :)

The XenFans Team

Floris

Staff member
XenForo version 1.0.0 Release Candidate 2 Released

XenForo Limited is starting to see a pattern in the amount of bugs they are receiving, and the severity of them, indicating their release candidates are going well and they're closing in on the highly anticipated stable version 1 release.

We at XenFans are getting very familiar with using the installing, upgrading, importing/converting and customizing the XenForo product, and we're glad to help everybody that needs a helping hand.

"Two weeks have passed since our first release candidate and our bug reports forum has remained steady at just a single page of unresolved bugs, most of which related to issues on which we are awaiting feedback or third party software. For the most part the inflow of bug reports has been very slow. We have fixed a silly error related to editing messages in personal conversations and a handful of other relatively minor issues.", XenForo Limited​
Source: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-release-candidate-2.11501/

I think it's important for site owners to realize this is the period where they can test XenForo with their live setup, a mirrored test setup, or a test import of their data. Any bugs found can be reported and fixed hopefully before XF reaches stable. Here at http://xenfans.com/ we've been running it since their first beta and are still very pleased with it. However please realize it is in beta stage at this point, and not officially supported. Again, if you need help feel free to contact our team or post on this web site.

The Release Candidate 2 comes with a few changes and improvements.
  • Facebook Recommend / Tweet - for pages
  • Changes to the Permissions Terminology
  • Rich Text Editor Content Styling
  • Tweet Button - Asynchronous Activation
  • Recommend / Like - switch
If you do not yet have a license, you're invited to purchase a license here: http://xenforo.com/purchase
If you have an active license, this is a free download / upgrade: http://xenforo.com/customers

XenFans will soon upgrade the site to RC2 and we're curious to hear from you as to what you think of the beta stage so far, and what you're going to use XenForo for. Please explore and participate in our community and leave your feedback.

Floris

Staff member
Please note that when you download the XenForo .zip file it is automatically checked to be an upgrade package.

I think it's worth noting that upgrade-, or full package .zip files are post-fixed with either '_upgrade' or '_full'.

xenforo_1.0.0-Release-Candidate-2_LicenseNumber_upgrade.zip
xenforo_1.0.0-Release-Candidate-2_LicenseNumber_full.zip

xenforo_releases.png

We also notice the filesize - and we recommend users on VPS/Dedicated hosting, or Shared Hosting customers with Shell access to upload the .zip as a whole, unpack it on the server, and copy the files, overwriting the existing ones, to upgrade. Saving time and trouble.

What I do is: (after uploading the .zip with ftp) (and after having made a full db/fs backup)

cd
mkdir rc2
cd rc2
unzip xen*.zip
cp -rf upload/* ../public_html/

And then I go to the browser and point it to /install/ to run the upgrader.

Floris

Staff member
You can contact our staff here: Contact Us
And request a free RC2 admin demo, or
request 50% discount on first time RC2 installation, or
request 25% discount on an RC2 upgrade (from any xenforo beta/rc to the latest rc2 build), or
request 10% discount on an RC2 convert / import job (from any board software to RC2).
Offer is valid until the next XenForo release.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
Awesome, I didn't realise there was a release :D

Upgrading my sites now :)

Floris

Staff member
XenForo version 1.0.0 Release Candidate 3 Released

We've just upgraded XenFans.com to Release Candidate 3, which got announced today as the last release candidate before going Gold/Stable - well, that's the plan at least.

"The development priority at this time is preparing XenForo 1.0.0 for stable release, but in the process of fixing bugs and polishing features, there have been some notable changes that may be of interest to you. Some of these changes are described below." - XenForo Limited.​

Source: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-rc3-release-candidate-3.12622/

The upgrades are going very smooth now, as are fresh installs. So we can already offer you a free 24 hour Admin Demo of RC3 if you want to take a peak into the admin control panel. We're also still offering install/upgrade/convert services, and they're ready for RC3 builds.

Changes to RC3 are basically improving on the existing code, in preparation of the stable release:
  • Facebook ColorScheme Style Property
  • Easier Color Palette Access
  • Enhanced Last Item Selection in Admin Control Panel
  • Track Visitors from Search
  • More Template Hooks
  • Disabled Add-Ons More Disabled
  • DEFAULT Template for Developers
  • And more code optimization and bug fixed, and surely there's even more to come.
We're excited to learn that the styles and add-ons and most of the template modifications created for the alpha/beta/rc releases work just fine on rc3, and we're even more excited about releasing more styles and more add-ons in the coming weeks and months.

We also invite you to share your resources with us, be it a tip, an article, or a resource.

For now .. backup > upgrade > enjoy!

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I really can't wait for the stable version, so I can get it up on my live community, even though it's dead :( It should become stable any day now *fingers crossed*.

Floris

Staff member
NOTICE: Please note that this thread contains all our news articles about the XenForo RC releases, beta and stable releases are in different release-threads. They're all worth a read. Feel free to leave feedback

Release Candidates 1, 2, and 3 threads merged in anticipation of the stable release.

Status
Not open for further replies.