XenForo status updates. Neglected Feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
Jan 26, 2008
Disunited Queendom
mikeylicio.us
Are XenForo status updates as a feature on the whole a neglected one? Sure it's a cool feature but I don't think that forum users use it as religiously as they do on facebook and twitter, and why should they?

Let me try to explain my logic behind the "why should they".. The people you have on your facebook are one group of people, that you're probably happy with reading "I just farted, LOL!", the people on your Twitter are usually the same people, but you don't post the same things as it isn't as private as facebook (haha, facebook, private, you get the point), so why would you post these same things on your forum status? Your forum is yet another group of people who you probably wouldnt want to know about your flatulence shall we say. Especially if you're the admin of that forum, you want to seem professional to your users. This is why I believe that the XenForo status updates aren't used all too much. Here on XenFans.com there is 1 status update in my recent activity. on XenForo.com, there are none for me at this present time..

So, are the XenForo Status updates becoming like vBulletins album feature? Used a few times then never again?

Personally I think that they'd be used more if a feature was coded in to allow you to automatically import your tweets as you tweet (so sync tweets), and facebook too...

Anyway, what's your thoughts?

Reactions: 4 people

Kaiser_imported

OMG Member
Dec 17, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
adminbb.info
People wont really use it because no one really ever clicks on the Recent Activity or the Member profiles just to check for updates. If they were to implement the recent status sidebar mod than people would start using it as everyone sees the statuses. Like on my site members use it all the time because I have the recent status mod which displays new statuses in the sidebar and is a quick way to update the status.
Capture.PNG

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
Jan 26, 2008
Disunited Queendom
mikeylicio.us
People wont really use it because no one really ever clicks on the Recent Activity or the Member profiles just to check for updates. If they were to implement the recent status sidebar mod than people would start using it as everyone sees the statuses. Like on my site members use it all the time because I have the recent status mod which displays new statuses in the sidebar and is a quick way to update the status.
I have this mod on my site, yet it is limited to three, and the last 3 statuses are my own. It's the same with my IPB sites however, no-one uses it, and that's in the sidebar also.

ArnyVee

OMG Member
Jan 21, 2011
I would say that Mikey has a point here. But, the non-use of this feature is also due to it being a bit hidden on the default setup as well. Sure, the sidebar addon is one way of promoting the use of it, but another (and more effective way IMO) would be in using the "recent activity" page as the "home" page. I'd also like to code in the "update your status" message box at the top of the recent activity and allow "likes" and "comments" to be used on that page as well. This would help mimic the "Facebook" aspect and promote the use of the feature.

There is a thread on xenForo.com requesting this to be done and I'd be willing to pitch in if there were some development costs associated with the creation of this modification. http://www.xenForo.com/community/th...nt-activities-page-with-status-updates.16788/

Reactions: 2 people

Jamie_imported

OMG Member
Oct 16, 2010
Manchester, New Hampshire
Hey guys,

I agree that the Status Update feature isn't used as much as it should be. I have talked to ArnyVee and we both believe that moving some stuff around and getting the status updates on the recent activity page to mimic Facebook a little would make this a better used feature.

Having the ability to connect to and auto update the members FB or Twitter account when they posted to our xenforo site would make it even better.

Adding the ability to comment on the status updates from the recent activity page would also make it a better flow.

I posted up that thread ArnyVee pointed out and I am willing to pay someone to code it for me. Sadly I have gotten zero responses from any developers. I am not sure if people are just too busy, or if they think it can't be done properly, or what.. One would think that some of these guys that code for a living would like to make a little more money. :)

Anywho... Add my continued support to see the Status Update feature be 'updated'...

Jamie

Reactions: 1 person

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2010
Wales, UK
www.prowebforums.com
I think it's neglected, but I kind of like the feature, and wish that more and more people would use it. Yeah, sure, it's not needed, but I think it's a good way of interacting more than just in the forums.

I hope more people will start using it in future. (I know this comment is coming from someone who hasn't added a status to their XenFans profile page yet, but meh :P)

CurveGotti

OMG Member
Oct 6, 2010
I know I completely forget about it or fail to update it most of the time. It is a great feature, but it's hidden away just enough that I think most people miss it altogether or forget that it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.