100 books by 2030

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
My 100 books poster arrives today, so this is my accountability thread. When I get home I'll be able to see how many I've already done. I think it'll be around 12 books. Which will give me an average of 15 books a year to read.

Reactions: Nix

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
So it's 14 books I've read, and I've started 2 of the ones to read already. Short ones, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas on audiobook, and The Picture of Dorian Grey, which I'm pretty sure I've read before but don't actually remember if it did or just watched it.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
So I changed it upa bit and read 2 twilight books instead of the poster ones! Ah well I'm still doing the others, but sometimes you just need fun light reading.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
You're doing a grand job!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
2 poster books done, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Got 3 on the go, Nelson Mandela, The War of the Worlds and The Handmaid's Tale. I'll probably finish the War of the Worlds one this week as it's only 200 pages and on kindle so I can read it at work. The Handmaid's Tale is an audiobook borrowed from the library so I need to listen to that.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Love The War of the Worlds.... you sould listen to the soundtrack full blast in darkness after reading it!!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Love The War of the Worlds.... you sould listen to the soundtrack full blast in darkness after reading it!!
That's the trouble with a lot of these books, I'm sure I've seen the film or play of them but haven't actually read the book.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've paused on the Nelson Mandela book, until I've finished a few of the ones I've started. I borrowed a few ebooks from the so want to get those read first.

I'm now over halfway through The Handmaid's Tale.

I'm also reading Northanger Abbey, The Marlow Murder Club, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Jacob's Room is Full of Books.

I've got Before the Year Dot on loan too but haven't started that yet.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I gave up on trying to read Jacob's Room is Full of Books.
Read Before the Year Dot, going to try and finish The Handmaid's Tale by the end of the month.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I finished listening to The Handmaid's Tale, started on Anna Karenina and tomorrow I begin the next book in my Chronicles of Narnia reread. The Horse and His Boy.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've got 4 hours left on Station 11, then back to the poster, with the audio book of The Diary of a Young Girl.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Started on Anne Frank, and it's roughly half hour chapters so aiming for one a day

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Started on Anne Frank, and it's roughly half hour chapters so aiming for one a day
I loved that as a kid. Should reread it as an adult really.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I loved that as a kid. Should reread it as an adult really.
The audiobook is read by Helena Bonham Carter, and I didn't know what to expect from her, but she's not over the top like a lot of her characters are, so it's a good listen.

I've worked out that to get it to 12 books a year, I need to do another 10 books this year, which I think is doable. I've got Anne Frank and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat on the go, Wild Swans is reserved for March on the library audiobook app.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Finished both Anne Frank and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat.

Started on Notes From A Small Island now, my hope is I'll finish that before I get Wild Swans.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Just scratched off book 21/100 Notes From A Small Island.

Wild Swans is due on Friday, so in the meantime I'll continue to read the Nelson Mandela biography.

March will be a slower month for books as both Wild Swans and Nelson Mandela are quite hard, big books to read.

I'm also reading Anna Karenina, but won't finish that for ages yet as I'm only about 100 pages into it.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Still listening to Wild Swans, over 19 hours still to go.

I did read Maya Angelou's I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings.

I'm now up to 22/100

• Wow

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Started on Lord of the Rings, I've never managed to finish this series before, so it's still on the poster to do. I'm doing a chapter a day with it.

Now up to page 200 with Anna Karenina so still on track to finish it by the end of the year!

I'm feeling more short books at the moment though as I'm struggling to get things read.

I'm currently at 34 books read so far this year, I'm going to up my target to 52 books, that's all books not just ones for the poster.