A footer still important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
What do you think, is a footer really still that important?
Would the users really need a footer to find contact details or a copyright?
Can't this simply be moved to the top menu, then optimized?

sd2310

OMG Member
I think yes. This is now almost a convention: when you want to know more about the site, you go to the bottom of the page for find all information.

Consider the copyright: 99.9% of users do not care about it, move it to the top menu wasting space! The remaining 0.01% will immediately go to bottom of the page and will grumble if they cannot find it in the planned location!

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I think as long as you have the copyright and the contact info somewhere easy to find it doesn't matter where you have it. I think copyrights in footers are just default but make it an original site you can move it anywhere but as Insy said, users will first go to the bottom of the page to find that info before grumbling that it isn't there making them have to search for it.

trilogy33

OMG Member
I'm of the "ain't broken, don't fix" schooling.
But, I'm also of the "ain't broken, but I'm bored, so I'll just mess with locahost first" train of thought. :D

CurveGotti

OMG Member
these links are always in the footer in all sites, when i visit any site and i am looking for these info. I scroll to the bottom :)beside you have so many things in the header

That is a good point for people to consider, most people that have been using the web long enough have just become accustom to having specific links located in a certain area. On most sites the links you listed are located in the bottom right hand corner of the page. I am also guilty of just automatically looking to that spot for the "contact us" link when needed.

Beverly Johnson

OMG Member
these links are always in the footer in all sites, when i visit any site and i am looking for these info. I scroll to the bottom :) beside you have so many things in the header

Though it's usual to place these links in the footer, it might be smarter to place the link to the privacy policy in a more conspicuous location. At least, considering how strict Google adsense is becoming, now requiring sites that serve their ads to display a noticeable link to the privacy policy. Just don't think it would be wise to hide the privacy policy link in such an out of the way place where adsense might miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.