A Great Experience with my site transfer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveL

OMG Member
Im not sure if this is the right forum but it can be moved if not!!

The other day was the day of the big move for me from my XenForo test site to going live on my main site. The main site consisted of a Joomla frontpage bridged to an SMF forum.

It is a small site at this time but as is all sites to all owners an important site to me and my members. The content could be recreated if necessary but the posted content itself would have been a loss to us.

I saw that XenFans offered up a conversion service. I spoke with Floris here about doing this as I had heard that SMF could be converted to vB and vB could be converted to XenForo. He suggested that once I was ready he would love to give it a shot and I would only have to pay if it was successful and to my complete liking of the end product. I sent him what was required by him and when he had finished he gave me the opportunity to view the end result. I was very pleased and promptly paid for the work. The files that I required were then sent to me. Floris even went so far as to give me step by step instructions on what I had to do to get my site up again with the minimum amount of work and time on my part. The whole process took no time whatsoever thanks to his considerate and precise instructions.

Over all I have to give him two thumbs up, a 10 out of 10 from me!!! :)

I lost very little in the conversion. The passwords I did expect to lose but I have only 65 odd members so I either emailed them or contacted them by other means after I had set up temp passwords for them all. The forum (node) structure was intact along with the content. There is some code showing up but that can be fixed in some of the signature pictures. I went over all the permissions and usergroups to be sure of the settings. Again, I expected this and Floris also suggested to take the board off line while doing this so as to protect any Private forums.

I am pleased with this whole process and my members are pleased with the result as well. Win-Win.

I still have lots to do to finish the site but at least it is up and running. Adding will take time but most of what I need to add I tested on my test site so it wont take as long to duplicate what I learnt on that test site.

The site url if you want to see the end result and its evolution over the next few days it is at....

http://Mappers Unitedhttp://www.mappersunited.com

Again, a big Thank You to the gang here. First beer is on me.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.