A secret tip to writing

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
First off, I am not a writer, I just write. I do this for code, scripts, storyboarding, brainstorming, and yes, for actual short and long stories. And 90% of it I never share with others. I do it for me. It's how I keep my brain active, keep my life for myself interesting, and I am perfectly fine with that. (Sorry!)

But one thing I have learned over time is something I feel I can share with you guys and girls. A secret tip so to speak. Maybe it's worth something to you. If it is, let me know! Post to this thread and come discuss it with us.

Just write, and then let it go.
Ignore it, forget about it. And come back to it later.

Later as in, .. a day later, a few months later. Heck, leave it alone for a year.

This will let you see it with a fresh pair of eyes, it will give you perspective. And it will tell you what you wrote has weight, if it passes the test of time. Is it still worth something or already obsolete?

If it did not pass the test of time, don't throw it out. No, keep it. Focus on something else for a while.. first. Then come back to it, and repurpose it if you can. Or yeah sure, maybe then throw it out.

If it however does pass the test of time. You can read through it, make adjustments, and update it to make it more fun, more rich, and more modern. Do some research, learn a few new things and update your text. Before publishing.

But that's it, the secret tip: Write it, leave it alone for a while, and see if it still works a month or a year later.

Got any tips yourself, please join the discussion.

Azhria Lilu

OMG Member
But that's it, the secret tip: Write it, leave it alone for a while, and see if it still works a month or a year later.
Heh, that's not really a secret. All writers do this. We write our first draft, then shove it in a drawer for a week/month/longer and move on to something else. Then after enough time has passed we'll get it back out and read it again and start editing.

Floris

Staff member
Heh, that's not really a secret. All writers do this. We write our first draft, then shove it in a drawer for a week/month/longer and move on to something else. Then after enough time has passed we'll get it back out and read it again and start editing.

It's more aimed at those who would love to write, get started, and wonder why they can't make any progress or feel like they're stuck.

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
There's this great quote, and this is how I remember it, but not sure it's 100% accurate, but it's, "Kill your darlings." If it sounds too pretty, and you're way too thrilled about how it works, it needs to be reworked. I agree, because as in movies when you see an actor and you're saying "omg that's spectacular acting!!", you've lost the whole of it to one aspect. Sure there are still concepts that will make you go, "OMG!! That's brilliant!! I'd of never thought of that!", but I think there's more wiggle room with that. IMO, too many writers have that one moment, but then the rest is garbage because they latched on too tightly to the one thing.

Floris

Staff member
There's this great quote, and this is how I remember it, but not sure it's 100% accurate, but it's, "Kill your darlings." If it sounds too pretty, and you're way too thrilled about how it works, it needs to be reworked. I agree, because as in movies when you see an actor and you're saying "omg that's spectacular acting!!", you've lost the whole of it to one aspect. Sure there are still concepts that will make you go, "OMG!! That's brilliant!! I'd of never thought of that!", but I think there's more wiggle room with that. IMO, too many writers have that one moment, but then the rest is garbage because they latched on too tightly to the one thing.
So true :) Someone once told me once you're finished with your story, first take one character out, or have it die early and would that improve the story? And then try that on another one. Maybe you can mystery write their existence, so there's space for an origin story and might add to the mood of the story.

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
I do think a lot of writers love to put in too much, and then neglect to simplify. I like the idea of taking out a character. That'd be neat.

Floris

Staff member
Just had a PHP project, while it's not 'writing', the documentation required simplification. Which was quite a bit of work. I had to write a style-guide for it and turn paragraphs into single sentences basically. And long sentences into easy to understand instructions.

It was quite the work, but a great practice and made me think about the short stories I wrote, so today I spent about two hours going through those and applied the same to actual 'writing', left it alone and read through it again. It's a lot easier to follow and you get sucked into the story more.

A great result!