Apple releases iOS12

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
The mobile operating system made by Apple got an update today. After a handful of months of developer builds and public betas the release is here. I will include a list of devices that are eligible to upgrade (but basically, if you can run iOS11, you can run iOS12, and I recommend to do so)

Older devices actually get a performance boost by upgrading to 12. It's got some maintenance tweaks and performance adjustments that at least make it appear that apps load a lot faster. I've been playing with iOS 11 and iOS 12 both on the SE/5s/6s+ and a X phone (but only for a day) and it is quite noticeable. And when you don't notice it: that's ok. At least it's not slower. Going from 9 to 10 to 11, there's been a performance compromise, despite benchmark scores showing higher ratings on my 6s+ by the way.

Anyway, if you can run iOS 11, and you care about performance, privacy and security: It's really time for iOS12. It will be the last of this design as iOS13 is to be expected (logically) to be a bigger overhaul and with it's focus on new new X and up devices. It will be a typical Apple move in my opinion if they support anything below iPhone 8 and with that, only certain processors. So older iPad and iPhones will not get iOS13. So enjoy 12 while you can for a few more years. I guess.

The shortcuts (old workflow app) are not system wide and integrated with Siri and there are other improvements that I personally really enjoy. If you don't mind running iOS11 I am pretty sure you won't even notice you're actually on iOS12, so why not enjoy the benefits.

That all said, backup first to iCloud or iTunes, and encrypt those backups so your personal data is actually included.

https://www.apple.com/nl/ios/ios-12/

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.43.14.png

This iOS12 of course came out alongside the new iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, and iPhone Xr, and together with this update we have tvOS, watchOS and soon macOS to follow.

And yes, I know a lot of people don't care for this and prefer Windows phone or Android for whatever reason, but this is my jam and I am sticking to it. Not because I am a sheep, but because I like the design of Apple products, both hardware and software, and the apps running on them. I invested in the apps I've purchased and have no intention of finding compromises and switching and re-learning lots and buying things again and having a less integrated solution between phones, tablets, and my servers/workstations, etc. You do you and use what works for you; I do the same.

I am quite excited about this going stable and public, and I had fun beta testing it and when friends and family ask if they should upgrade the answer is : Yes, of course, you run iOS 11? Great, backup and upgrade. Have fun, it will go just fine. The new version has no learning curve.