Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Austenitic Steel and Magnetism

Discussion in 'Science' started by opair, Nov 27, 2017.

1. opair

opair OMG Member

Threads:
    The other day I noticed that my cutlery wasn't magnetic, which is a shame considering I have a magnetic bar installed in my kitchen. So my first assumption was that they are made of some poor material even though the packaging said the set was made of steel. Anyway, I looked up the model number and it turns out that my cutlery is made of austenitic steel. And I've gotten curious and did some googling and found out that "Austenitic steel is largely non-magnetic (not ferromagnetic)" (Quote source). Why is that? Why is austenitic steel not magnetic? I'm looking for an explanation but so far haven't found a sufficient one.

2. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    It would have been so awesome if you could have ended that post with: A nickel for your thoughts.

Because if I remember my high school classes correctly, it's nickel that makes most (stainless) steel's structure different and therefore non magnetic.

So the word you're googling for is ferritic structure vs nickel compound in stainless steel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice