Calendar, important or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Most of the major forum systems nowadays have a calendar or some sort of event system built into the core, and being as Xenforo is the new kid on the block, it would be nice to have a discussion on if you think it's necessary to have one.

The forum software that I use has a calendar but I've never used it. Do you think Xenforo should introduce this into their future versions?

CurveGotti

OMG Member
I never really liked the calender system much myself and notice most members either never notice it exists, or use it on most of the boards I've done work on. I guess it really all depends on the site, I can see why there would be instances where it would be essential.

eod

OMG Member
I like the calendar option for certain communities that would benefit from scheduled events. Examples of these are gaming communities (to schedule game nights), offroad communities (to schedule trail runs), bands, etc

If you don't need the option, there is usually a way to disable or hide it. I think its important.

melbo

OMG Member
If a calender is integrated, I'd prefer it to be iCal so it could be subscribed to via iPhone, Mail, Outlook etc. A non syncing calender isn't worth much to me these days.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I can understand gaming website using it, for example a black ops forum could use the calendar to inform members of online matches. I'm considering disabling mine :) I don't have any entries on mine apart from members birthdays.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I always had Calendar available to me in vBulletin and despite that I have ideas to use it, nobody used it. I have no intention of including one in XenFans.com for example.

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
on IPB which I use for my main community atm, the calendar is an optional free application they offer, it's not used so I don't install it.

melbo

OMG Member
It's funny, on vB, whenever I disabled something to save resources because i thought no one used "Forum Jump" for example, I had threads and PMs pop up asking where such and such feature went.

Sometimes I need to stop thinking of forum navigation the way I navigate my forum... Features i use, my members don't and visa versa.

Peggy_imported

OMG Member
What sort of events do you create Peggy? It would be nice to hear what sort of events you create.
I don't really create too many events with it, tho when I had my designing business I used it to schedule custom work.
Now tho, I use it for my appointments, dates, etc. Hey I'm online more than I'm off, so why not use the forum calendar for reminders. eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.