Choosing sex in surrogacy

ThingOne

OMG Member
What are your views when it comes to intended parents being allowed to pick the sex of their unborn baby when going through the surrogacy process? Do you think it's ethical?

Mikey

:mikey:
Staff member
What are your views when it comes to intended parents being allowed to pick the sex of their unborn baby when going through the surrogacy process? Do you think it's ethical?

I think they should be allowed to choose. I'm not quite sure how they choose though?

opair

OMG Member
Well, I'm not against it but personally, I don't see why you should do it? Modern definition on gender postulates that genitals do not define which sex you are. Your baby could turn out to be trans, what would you do then? Also, does it really matter if your baby is a boy or a girl? Would you love them any less?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
You get preggers, you get what you get. That's my opinion.
If you are in a position where you have trouble getting preggers, then perhaps if there's a choice, you might as well make one. But since I don't have a preference, and I think that someone who gets born they way they are born are the way they are, it's not up to me to use a cheatcode.

But at the end of the day, I couldn't care less. I know they change genders of dogs these days because the owner of the dog thinks the dog is happier as a girl .. personally I think that's simply ridiculous, but having any opinion other than the ones people post on facebook and you're now an old fashioned close minded person .. i've learned in a world of feminists who hate men without ever having met one is i have no valid opinion. I gave up caring.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I think if you're having a baby and have a high risk of something being passed on through one sex then it's more understandable that you may prefer to choose to have a baby that has a lower risk of being ill.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I think if you're having a baby and have a high risk of something being passed on through one sex then it's more understandable that you may prefer to choose to have a baby that has a lower risk of being ill.
But that's not a fashion choice or a trending choice, or just "because i want it" by selfish person. There's a medical choice to be made, and having that choice is much more reasonable. I'd be more open to that.

opair

OMG Member
That's not the topic here though? The issue here is whether or not we condemn choosing the gender during the surrogacy process. We're not questioning the process itself, which yeah can be chosen due to medical reasons.