Christmas shoppings: Why is it so stressful?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Each year I just kinda freak out when October comes around.. shittttt, it's almost time to think about Christmas cards and wrapping paper, and figuring out who goes eat where and if we get gifts for people. How on earth am I going to afford any of this.

Not to mention, the shops themselves will be packed. It just ain't much fun going Christmas shopping (but maybe it's because I am a guy and I rather just go to some site like Amazon and tell it to just get me 50 things for 50 bucks haha).

How do you feel about christmas shopping stress?

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Love it!! I start in January buying stocking fillers and saving money for October's shopping fest.... By June I've done the stocking filler and am moving onto main presents for everyone.... October I get the money I've saved and I blow 2/3rds on presents. the other 3rd goes towards the food shop which I have delivered on the 22nd approx of December. It's not a military operation honest!!!

Floris

Staff member
What would be some good stocking fillers to buy, and I like the idea of starting early so it's less stress at the end of the year.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I like to try and get presents that do more than one thing, so buy people days out or from ethical companies or charities, so people get the gift and the workers benefit, rather than just Amazon or whatever getting richer

Floris

Staff member
I like to try and get presents that do more than one thing, so buy people days out or from ethical companies or charities, so people get the gift and the workers benefit, rather than just Amazon or whatever getting richer
Over the last 5 years or so I have been trying to do this as well. I am far from perfect about this, but making progress :)

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Charity shops are great for bits and pieces... last year I managed most of Abbs dvds and some clothes from charity shops.

Floris

Staff member
Charity shops are great for bits and pieces... last year I managed most of Abbs dvds and some clothes from charity shops.
I like that idea as well!!

CrayCray

OMG Member
I have a piggy bank where I put in a bit of money, and each time I think I have enough for a person I put it in envelop with their name on it and keep that aside until I need money to buy a gift for that person. This has worked well for me for a few years. It takes away the stress of shoppin'. Plus, you get the whole year to keep an eye on wish-lists and discounts, especially around black friday.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I want to be able to make one or two gifts this year, that of course means I need at actually finish something!

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
LOL If I made a present the receiver would probably be offended haha!!

I've bought a few stocking fillers now :) still saving for it though.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I went to WHSmiths yesterday and managed to get a few bits for the Christmas shoebox appeal that I try and do each year, so yep I've started too!

@Nix you can knit scarves for people! ;)

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
SO I've done a few bits and pieces for stocking fillers, made my lists, and big present shopping starts in October when I get the money I have saved up... can't wait (as per usual lol) :starryeyes:

Floris

Staff member
SO I've done a few bits and pieces for stocking fillers, made my lists, and big present shopping starts in October when I get the money I have saved up... can't wait (as per usual lol) :starryeyes:
Can I get a copy of this hard work? :D

I dunno how I am going to afford christmas pressies this year. MEH

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I dunno how I am going to afford christmas pressies this year. MEH

Yer it's guna be a tight one for me this year... wise shopping i think!
I've got 400 saved but i need another 200!

Floris

Staff member
Yer it's guna be a tight one for me this year... wise shopping i think!
I've got 400 saved but i need another 200!

wow .. if i had 600 i'd get myself a new apple watch and buy a kit kat bar for my family..

No I need to figure out a way to get like $100 to go between 6 people, .. and i have $20 saved.

fml

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I wish.. I'd love an iPad lol

But I have a big birthday to sort out and xmas so yer. I've saved all year but need a little more.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've started my Christmas shopping, had't planned to start it this early but saw a few things that I knew people would like so I've started it.

Why are men so hard to buy for???

Floris

Staff member
I've started my Christmas shopping, had't planned to start it this early but saw a few things that I knew people would like so I've started it.

Why are men so hard to buy for???
Don't overthink it, we're easy to please :)

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Must remember to try and avoid wrapping paper that can't be recycled.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I've got @Floris present just got to wrap and post it!!
Still working out what to get you @Joan lol

Floris

Staff member
Spoke with the family, health and money issues means we can all invest a dinner and a $5 gift..
We basically cancelled christmas, we will see who's around and has time to eat together at my parents place.
It's basically any other month. I honestly don't know that even with saving, how others can have more than 500 in gifts for their loved ones. I haven't been able to do it for years.