Community History (Creations / vBFans / WeTalk / OMGboards / etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
On the 31st of December 2000 I've discontinued my registered company officially and on January 1st, 2001 I've started with the forum, private until 2 minutes and ten years ago, when I opened it up.

from 1/1/01 to 1/1/11

I want to thank everybody who believed in the community from the start, who believed in me, and who have helped me moderate and manage it. I especially want to thank the old team members from day 1, including mik3, mf, and many others, and the current team members such as Chroder, Brian, and many others. Their motivation and support has kept the site alive.

But an even bigger thank you goes of course to those who were the reason the site went up in the first place. The chat users on the irc #chatterz and #newbies, as well as vbirc and my online msn/aim/icq and Skype friends. For who I have created a place where we can discuss en-masse the topics that were on our mind. Share screenshots and files, and our opinions about current matters, forum software, and niche topics such as digital media and technology. Their family and friends, and their friends and their friends, and complete strangers from search engines that found us, and became friends, etc .. We have been a social network for many and a daily "what is new" refresh page for many others.

Thank you all who browsed, registered and posted on the site.

We've got quite a bumpy history, including domain changes from creations.nl to vbulletin.nl from an open offtopic board to vBulletin discussion board. To a network of offtopic discussion boards, to acquired sites merged into the many sites that were running. But we're back on one community, one network, and all the users, threads and posts are still here, from day 1, all the way to 10 years later; wetalknation.net - currently a private offtopic community for friends.

Despite our bumpy history, the rough times, and the server moves, team changes, and our full history. In my eyes the site is not the community: But we are.

You and I are friends, and that's what counts for me.

creations.nl is how I sum that up, and it's been ten years.

Floris Jan Maurits Fiedeldij Dop
creations founder, and your friend.

Last edited:

Floris

Staff member
Hey there, please hold on.. Don't run away just yet. Please allow me to apologize for the confusion and explain to you the best I can about why you have an account on this site, perhaps some threads and posts. And how you perhaps received an email or newsletter and hopefully answer all of your questions.

First of all, welcome! You are on the OMG boards. A community owned by Floris, and run by Mikey, Nix, and probably a few others. We have always run on-line forums and have done so for the last decade or so.

Too long, summary please! A bunch of sites used to forums, they are now on a new domain, our apologies for the confusion. This thread explains it all in detail, please come chat with us :)

And that's where your account probably came from. One of the sites that we used to run in the past, or have since then acquired from another site owner who was about to shut down their site.

We love communities, being part of it, building them, and chatting to our friends and hopefully loads of new friends as well. And that's where you come in. So please, don't click away irritated, instead, give us a chance to welcome you and become part of an awesome place again.

We've been quite a few sites, have merged a few sites, etc. The first one was my site creations.nl early 2001, followed by vbulletin.nl / vbfans.com, and eventually a network of wetalk domains like wetalk.tv and wetalknation.net. Mikey has run sites like offtopichut.com, remixforumz, thegeekdistrict, parlancia, etc. And we've merged sites like writershangout, thenewtech, the rogue forums, and a star wars community into ours.

So try to restore your profile, or ask for help on this. And review your threads and some posts. They probably ring a bell.

Maybe update your password, privacy settings, your email preferences, and complete your profile (avatar, signature, etc). And maybe say hello to us again, or start a new discussion about your favorite topic.

Again, our apologies for the confusion. Personal matters such as illness in the family and other real life stuff got in the way, and around 2012 and some communities around 2015, were closed until further notice. Surprise, .. further notice ..

The current and new url for all these sites is just one amazing community the oh my god boards.

What are your options?

If this all really really upsets you, you are free to consider asking to null your account. Or to even delete it. We review these requests on a per-user basis. Nulling an account means we will set the email to your username at example.com, but your content remains, your account does not get deleted. To delete an account means that we will delete the user. Your content will show unlinked, with usertitle of 'Guest', your content remains. You can restore a nulled account, you cannot restore a deleted account.

If you love the idea of a community and being part of it again, please feel free to contact us if you have questions. But, try to login to your account, and like I said, make sure your email is up to date, and walk through your preferences.

If you want to start fresh, feel free to sign up if you rather have a completely new account.

If you find multiple accounts, we have the ability to merge them into 1.

Floris

Staff member
Little update: We're live now. The board is open on omgboards.com :) Enjoy!

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

Floris

Staff member
2020.. Apocalypse Check

Next, 2021?

Floris

Staff member
2021, we're 20 years and counting. JUST SAYING! <3

• Love
Reactions: Nix

Floris

Staff member
2021 update:

We're a twenty year old community now, we've undergone changes enough. And we're still on omgboards.com, we've archived a lot of the old legacy content, and we've made an effort to make new content. We've also been fighting spam bots a lot, and we've enjoyed fantastic members in our community participating in great conversations, topics, and shared a laugh.

And now we're on XenForo 2.

Floris

Staff member
2022 update:

We've going to further merge and purge some content and accounts. If you want to keep your account, login, sort it out, and start posting, new content isn't getting (re)moved.

We are going to merge some forums, the details will be in the forums changelog again.

And we're going to try and find funding to renew the domain names, hosting, and software licenses. Donations can go to paypal.me/mrfloris

Beyond that, nothing much has changed, except awesome new content by fantastic members.

Floris

Staff member
2022, we're still going :) Don't be a stranger! Because we're here every day hanging out.

Floris

Staff member
The two threads below have been merged into a new sticky thread 'Community History'
- creations.nl, ten years old
- what the heck is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.