Extensions and Apps

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I'm looking for some new browser extensions (Chrome & Safari) and some apps to download for my Mac and I'm just wondering if you guys know of any good ones. Here's all the apps I have so far:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18660955/my-apps.png

I'm also looking for some nice Mac tips and tricks, for example, if it's possible to show the stats of my server load or anything like that within the istatmenu's or any other little tips or tricks like that, basically anything you think I'll be interested in just say ^_^

I know this thread isn't very clear on what I want, but just go wild lol.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I use (for Safari/Chrome) extensions that shows the number of unread mails on my gmail bookmark / tab.
And I use Ghostery, and NOSCRIPT (though usually turned off) and I use adblock plus.

Floris

Staff member
I keep the browsers and OS as vanilla as possible. It maintains performance and stability. Everything in moderation, right :) If you *need* something, you add-on to it. But I don't quite understand folks that have 20+ extensions installed and claiming they use them constantly.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
On FF for example, I have the following extensions, yslow, firebug and an seo addon. I keep everything moderated too. I'm like that with my applications too, I don't download anything unless I use it, I don't download games from the app store.

The only thing that I need to do, is use different parts of the OS more, for example, I don't use spaces or expose. I want to get used to using different parts of the OS more, if you get what I mean.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Sorry to bump this thread up, but being as Lion has just come out, I thought it would be nice to update this thread with some apps that I've recently come across :)

MacUpdate - A nice app to update all your programs automatically.
AppCleaner - I'm starting using this a lot more, as AppZapper always seems to crash on me which is a shame.

Floris, I've got a small question for you. When I purchased my Mac I watched a couple of 'essential apps for beginners' on YouTube. One of those was a program called WMV player. Also a few extensions called 'Flip4Mac WMV' and 'Perian'. Are any of these programs/pref panes needed any more? Just thought i'd ask before I remove them lol.

Floris

Staff member
WMV is NOT NOT NOT NOT an essential app for beginners. The person who made that video must be a noob himself :)

THE essential media player is VLC, of course ;)

Flip4Mac is handy, completely solves even having to have WMV player.

Uninstall WMV player, get the free version of Flip4Mac, and install VLC - and video will never be a problem on the mac (which it already isn't really).

Perian is nice, but obsolete in Lion I think.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
WMV is NOT NOT NOT NOT an essential app for beginners. The person who made that video must be a noob himself :)

THE essential media player is VLC, of course ;)

Flip4Mac is handy, completely solves even having to have WMV player.

Uninstall WMV player, get the free version of Flip4Mac, and install VLC - and video will never be a problem on the mac (which it already isn't really).

Perian is nice, but obsolete in Lion I think.

I've removed WMV player. I'm considering removing perian too. Geektool must go too :P