Facebook vs Twitter : Which is worse?

CraftKitten21

OMG Member
In terms of being bad for people (toxic) and spreading hatred, which would you say is worse?

I haven't been on Facebook in a long time. I stopped using it when I realized how much people put on a show for others and act nothing like themselves. It almost freaked me out. I used Twitter for a good 6 years but have since walked away from it. I stopped using it in 2019. Most of the things that were trendy on there and what people were talking about just had to do with hating each other and I couldn't stand it. I started focusing more on forums. I join places like this and it feels a lot more relaxed/easy and I find it easier to connect with people. So to me, both platforms are bad but in my experience, Twitter has been worse overall.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Facebook is more for friends/family, if there's any public abuse it's because of a public post. Content created on Facebook can at least be limited to the connections you have. On Twitter you can make an innocent post and it can go viral, blow up out of context and with enough toxic people jumping on you for the wrong reasons your account can get suspended, etc. It's quite toxic. The mob mentality on Twitter since it's all public, seems to be higher.

But I have to add that I find it easier to ignore people on Twitter and 'not giving an f' than when I post something from the heart on Facebook and someone that is connected to me (and therefore should know me) jumps on it and takes it super serious,and makes a big family issue out of it etc. Ignoring them just causes them to call you offline or talk to others around you and spread nonsense ..

Both platforms are rather terrible for their own reasons. haha.

I hardly use Facebook these days. I don't feel comfortable on it. On Twitter I find it a lot easier to spend 15 seconds to just micro blog that thing on my mind. It allows me to share, let it go, and leave it to those who care to find it and join the conversation.

I am just weird like that I guess.

SaadAkbar

OMG Member
I think twitter is worse than facebook, I have only found hate trending on twitter,hate speech against people trending.I have found facebook have more entertainment stuff and has respectful content but there are some dark side too but not as much as compare to twitter.

Floris

Staff member
I think twitter is worse than facebook, I have only found hate trending on twitter,hate speech against people trending.I have found facebook have more entertainment stuff and has respectful content but there are some dark side too but not as much as compare to twitter.
Yeah, I never use the trending feature on twitter. I hardly read the main page that's filled with tweets by others. It's a mess. I focus on my own account and my own conversations with people.

Emma

OMG Member
Facebook basically do lot of work for you, your content is on the right platform. During the covid situation this social media was primary source of news. Twitter is trying to hit this advertising thing and it’s good for their users but I think twitter news are worse more than any other social media.

Floris

Staff member
Facebook basically do lot of work for you, your content is on the right platform. During the covid situation this social media was primary source of news. Twitter is trying to hit this advertising thing and it’s good for their users but I think twitter news are worse more than any other social media.
I can't really say that I believe Facebook's interest isn't with the advertisers first, compared to news content.

They wanting to shape what news they believe is the correct news means they're moderating their content. That's not really ideal either.