Friends that smoke - and how I can help them stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Looking for tips on how to help my friends that try to quit smoking but still have weak moments and have a smoke on events, during weak moments ..

iTuN3R

OMG Member
He needs to lower amount of cig's he smokes slowly ..Saying i want to quit it won't help one really needs to push himself i was chainsmoker couples of years back even till last yr i used to finish a pack in a day . But later i pushed myself so hard i started slowing down with smoking keeping myself busy with small works ,going out often with friends ...now i totally can control it even someone is smoking on my side i easily ignore it .

Spartan

OMG Member
I'm slowly getting there with quitting and it is bloody hard.

I'd say talk to them when they do have a smoke, just mention that they're trying to give up and tell them they're doing well. Of course be careful how you word it so it doesn't come over like you're preaching.

For me personally I hate it when people preach about it, especially people who have never smoked.

Our lorry driver at work, admittedly he his a cantankerous old git, he's never even touched tobacco let alone smoked it and he is always preaching to the smokers about how it's bad for you and it really annoys most of us, of course we know he is right but it's the way he says it. What makes it worse is how he goes on about it unhealthy and in reality he is the most unhealthy person there, he's always coming down with colds and chest infections and needing to go the doctors and I know I shall talk one up now, I haven't had a cold in about 3 years and the only time I go around the vets is when I have diabetic checkups.

Anyway I personally find that when people preach it kind of puts me off the whole quitting, stupid I know but I think it's just human time lord nature.

crimson

OMG Member
Quitting smoking is very hard, I know because I'm also trying to do so but the problem is when my co workers are having a break I tempted to do it because they are smokers too. I also want to hear some advices that could help me quit.

vlada

OMG Member
Looking for tips on how to help my friends that try to quit smoking but still have weak moments and have a smoke on events, during weak moments ..

I think that your friend should have the reason to quit the smoking. I am absolutely sure that the general understanding of the health hazard from smoking is not the sufficient ground to quit smoking.

George G Halstead

OMG Member
I smoke and have since i was 14 and folks that try to tell me what is best for me like quitting smoking drives me crazy. We all have bad habits but no one has the right to assume responsibility for my well being except me. I do thank them for caring but in all honesty it is not their concern.

yazmeen

OMG Member
I am also a smoker and I have been trying to quit, but unfortunately, till now I am still smoking. I found a product they call it e-cigar (electronic cigar). At first, I thought it might really help me quit but then i got worried about its effects too. I mean, what if instead of taking in nicotine, I'll be taking in something else coz its chargeable cigarette. Anyone who tried this e-cigar?

Status
Not open for further replies.