Generated Passwords

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I'm on the horrible process of changing all my site/server passwords to randomly generated passwords, using an amaizing app called 1Password. Do you use random passwords for everything? Or just for site stuff, if you do, how many characters long?

I hate this process, I'm not going to use random passwords for every single site I visit, just important ones. So, what about you? :)

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
PayPal allows up to 20, so it has 20.
Skype allows up to 32, so it has 32.

Everything else that's allowing basically unlimited length, I give it 32 or 50 characters long.

The longer, the better. grc.com > password haystacking <-- got an easy password? at least add a haystack to it.

Vincent_imported

Trusted Member
PayPal allows up to 20, so it has 20.
Skype allows up to 32, so it has 32.

Everything else that's allowing basically unlimited length, I give it 32 or 50 characters long.

The longer, the better. grc.com > password haystacking <-- got an easy password? at least add a haystack to it.

So, you are telling me you have a 50 chars password here?

Floris

Staff member
Yep.

This is how they tend to look from the 1passwd program pass generator;
Screen%20shot%202011-07-09%20at%203.18.58%20PM.png

Floris

Staff member
Obviously it was a generated one for the screenshot, every time you load it you get a unique new one. ;)

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
My mind is my generator for passwords. Probably not the best way of doing things but I can never remember any of them so that must be good right??

Floris

Staff member
I am not so happy about lastpass seemingly requiring login to them in order to use it? ..

Stormraven

Trusted Member
I don't use random passwords for everything, only important stuff. For example, I don't bother with a generated password for Facebook because it's not important. That, and the fact that I'm almost hoping someone gain access to my account and delete it lol.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Yep.

You even use these types of passwords for Facebook? o.O It must have taken you ages and ages to change all your passwords to strong ones lol.

Floris

Staff member
I change them on the ones that have the most consequences, and then the rest as I run into it.

1password helps you login, and helps you generate them, and stores them + syncs them to other devices.
I don't have to type them in anymore, all I have to remember is the 1passwd master password. Which I change every 6 months or so.

Stormraven

Trusted Member
Just out of curiosity, how do you conqure the multiple logins for a single site? Just out of curiosity, Twitter - iestyn01, twitter 2 - blah and twitter 3 - etc?

It's such a shame 1password cant handle multiple logins for one site. on one hand i use twitter - iestyn01, then a new login, twitter - prowebforums, its annoying having the word twitter in the title as you know its twitter because you visited the url, or do you just put 'iestyn01' 'prowebforums' in the title section?

Sorry if this is confusing :P

Floris

Staff member
You can name them..

I have "Twitter (floris)", "Twitter (xenfans)" for example.
Once in a while I edit the list in 1passwd and go through what appears to be dupe entries. I even set tags, so I can sort on social networks or forums, etc.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
Yep.

I'm going to check on using this so I can keep all my stuff secure. Wonder if it will work with the login screen of World of Warcraft

Floris

Staff member
I used to use info.xhead, but recently learned they are gone as a company, and that it's not 100% working on Lion OSX, I am glad I invested in 1password now, active development, good support (tested it), iOS support, Windows support, and Mac .. syncing over DropBox, and has CVS import.

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I used to use info.xhead, but recently learned they are gone as a company, and that it's not 100% working on Lion OSX, I am glad I invested in 1password now, active development, good support (tested it), iOS support, Windows support, and Mac .. syncing over DropBox, and has CVS import.
Good to know, thanks for that info. I will definitely use 1password