Give Your Phone Photography Skills a boost!

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
When working with a phone camera, it can be difficult to figure out how to get the best lighting and posing in each picture. So next time you're trying to take that perfect selfie or get a group photo, give these tips a try.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.34.16.png

1. Face the Light Source or Get In The Shade
If you're inside, the subjects of the photo should have the light shining on them, not with the light behind them. If there's no other option but to have the light behind them, make sure the camera knows that the people - not the light in the background - are the focus, to avoid the people appearing as dark figures in the picture.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.33.31.png

If you're outside, avoid posing where sunlight is bright and patchy - seek an evenly shaded spot instead. Shade is generally better for photos because it produces even, soft light rather than unpredictable and extreme shading. Ideally, the photographer should have the sun at their back with the subjects of the picture in the shade, facing the photographer. For selfies, you should block out the sun with your phone (so you're not blinded by the light), and stand somewhere in the shade yourself.

2. Don't Pose for the Screen
Often, it's easy to look straight at the phone's screen when taking a selfie, but this results in eyes focused on some spot just below the actual camera. Pose while watching your appearance, but focus on the actual camera before taking the picture.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.32.51.png

3. Find Out What Your Phone Can Do
Your phone's camera may have features you weren't aware of! Many smartphones have exposure and white balance settings that can greatly improve your phone's pictures. If you can't locate the settings on the phone itself, try searching online for help.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.35.43.png

Finally, remember that phone pictures don't have to be perfect, and there are plenty of filters if worse comes to worse. Happy Phone-tography!

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.35.01.png

If you want to see some of the pictures I've taken with my iPhone, please check my instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mrfloris/

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 01.32.32.png

Last edited: