How do You watch TV?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I cut the chord. I have a tv in my room, but it isn't even connected. I am honestly just too lazy to even throw it out or sell it or whatever. I've never even owned an HDTV or experienced the full 4K tv watching experience (besides some 4k stuff on my iMac, but .. that's still different).
I use Netflix and online resources to watch tv. And that's just fine. No ads, no wait, no hassle. And it's way cheaper for me (right now).

Surely I miss out on a bunch, because we're Dutch, and not USA. This means license and delivery restrictions like crazy. Sure, we have some stuff on Netflix, but every time I hear my US friends talk about what they check out on Netflix, I look for it, nope.. not there. But the price is the same, even more!

No Hulu and Amazon Prime video, or any of that stuff. They don't even offer anything to us here yet. And what they do offer, is something you can count on one hand.

Quite frustrating, especially since I love watching tv shows and movies. But they're not worth $100/month just to get, especially when they're littered with advertisements. Ugh.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 22.11.12.png Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 22.11.06.png Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 22.10.59.png Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 22.10.50.png Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 22.10.43.png

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Netflix & Sky Tv mainly. On the Mac or Tv. Very simple really.

Azhria Lilu

OMG Member
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky here too. UK Netflix is crap, sucks that they clamped down on the IP masking to allow us to watch US Netflix.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I think it also depends on who else watches it in your household, if it was just me I wouldn't have a tv either, just using Netflix, Amazon or streaming sites, however if the tv is on here then I'll watch it, usually BBC, but rarely do I ever actually put it on myself.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
It is kind of cool to see a shift since the last time I asked this question ten years ago. People were adamant to watch it the old fashioned way and wouldn't really consider online stuff much. And just because it's available and more affordable, that we watch more online. Convenience and better handling of advertisements and the freedom to watch what we want when it suits us, seems to win - who'd a thought :p