How to Blizzard quote...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossmaN

OMG Member
I have been trying to figure out how to make a stylish blizzard BBcode but i cant figure it out.

Are there any guides out there on how to make quote bbcode or something i can look at or maybe someone with some sparetime that want to help me maybe ?

I have been checking out 1 blizzard quote that i just love but on IP Board.
http://www.wowjuju.com/topic/1743-about-the-juggernaut-change/

Is it possible to make something like that for Xenforo ?

Thanks

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
KingK made a bbcode manager, I believe it's possible to add your own bbcodes that way. Check out our resources forum here on xenfans.com

BossmaN

OMG Member
Thanks for the reply.

I already have that installed but i dont really get it. Tried to do it over a VBulletin guide but i cant get it to work
confused.png

EQnoble

OMG Member
Yes it is very possible...and it would take a short time actually as long as you knew ahead of time what you wanted it to look like...just like Mikey's bio bbcode though... for you to make a custom styled quote conatiner you would need to include your own blizzard_quote.css in the EXTRA.css template or directly add the css rules to the EXTRA.css itself. I can help if you are still lost...

EQnoble

OMG Member
k
example2.png
now I noted it as wikipedia but in essense it is the same thing...as I undertsand it you want to be able to quote a specific site and when quoting from a specific site..use a customized quote container styled to represent the site you are quoting from...

Is blizzard the actual site your looking to do...or is that just the example...

if it is just an example....please let me know what site you are actually trying to cite

BossmaN

OMG Member
Sweet sample =)

There are 2 sites i will be quote from. Blizzard and RIFT but there will be more but those 2 are the important ones.

EQnoble

OMG Member
Ok I will make a generic one today...when done, two values can be replaced to customize this to anything you want this to look like style-wise

EQnoble

OMG Member
Alright I think I have this tied up real nice ...had a long day but just got a minute to myself at 4.44 AM so I am calling it a night I should have it done tomorrow...I will post a generic themed one at XF and I will post the two themed ones here ... blizzard I know as I am an old warcraft nut ..but the other based on the fact that it is gaming related would point to this http://www.riftgame.com/ being the site ..correct?

Also tell me now if you have a preferred size in pixels that you would like quote element to be or if you would like it fluid as I will make this as easy as possible for you to add.

(SLEEP)

BossmaN

OMG Member
Sweet!

Yes, i want it to link to that website but i want to be able to have an option on the link so i can have it linked directly to the post im posting about, but i can live with it if it just link to the actual website.

Sure make it fluid.

Cant wait for the result from this :)

EQnoble

OMG Member
Just doing some PS work for it, I will be done today.....probably a couple of hours..right now I'm taking my well deserved slow paced joyride to some music way past recommended DB levels...so I will be back shortly...

EQnoble

OMG Member
So generally with no styling additions applied this is the basic layout(I still am playing with the borders and padding)...

example1.png
I personally prefer the click-able link to be the Blizzard logo itself ( II in the image below)...what do you think?
example2.png

EQnoble

OMG Member
bliztest.png
Ok this is useable now... I will be making this as a framework to customize on a per quoted site basis so I will be changing some things in the code, but it will take a couple more days...in the meantime if you want to test this out here... http://xenxero.com/threads/blizzard-test.10509/
Decide if you can use it like that...if you can I will upload as is today and update later ( the way I am building it...if you update the edits I am making from this point on to make this a universal and customizable container you will only need to paste the css into the extra.css and the external quotes from blizzard you already have posted will not break..this will just make it so simple css can be added per remote site style) most likely a couple of days ..tops.

Edit: random acts of life have slowed me down...I am done..I am just figuring out the easiest way to be able to use the same css for multiple quote containers with only one custom styling property per remote site (like blizzard) this way new sites can be added with minimal styling needs.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
That looks pretty pimp I have to admit. The logo and gradient at the top..

EQnoble

OMG Member
Thank you ! I am re writing it from scratch as I discovered a way to do the same thing with half the bytes...and still get the exact same thing...while still allowing single 2 css definitions to create a completely new looking container (of course each one will need its own bbcode....(unless I can use {3} as an option to call styling....ok now I am going to rewrite it again <---AWESOME idea omg now I have to start all over :-) ) )

@kossan would you like me to post as is for you...or would you like to wait for the final build of it? It doesn't matter to me either way and is not a problem to upload it.

BossmaN

OMG Member
Sorry for not being online and answer you.

You can wait for the final build =)
Hehe, did you rewrite it again :P ?

EQnoble

OMG Member
:-) Three times so far...I keep finding different ways to go about the same thing...

I really want this to be expandable to the point that you will install the custom quote bbcode and css and then subsequent sites to be cited from will only require a small addition to the css per site which will get called as an option in the bbcode itself. I am just figuring out which way works best before I stamp it with my name :-) I would also like to make it so site owners can easily share new sites or customizations to this so that is another thing I am keeping in mind. I will probably have something useful in the way of this today or tomorrow.

Right now I am trying to convince a coder friend of mine to get a lic. for xenforo so we can try this out ( so he can point out my mistakes )...he doesn't run websites so he doesn't have a use for it really besides development for others so I may have to buy another license for him. We'll see about this.... All I know is if I can get my boy to help out with this, it will be perfect and then it will be much easier to have him help me build my video conversion addon for xf which is my ultimate goal (my only personal goal as it seems I am alone in this need). As it stands now, he is the same as me and does not accept payment in any form from anyone so paying him is out of the question or it would be done already. The only way to get him to help is to prove to him that building better community sites will lead to better communication amongst the worlds population which in his theory is the source of ALL of the worlds problems...I agree. Now how to convince him he is helping achieve a means to an end......

I am going to try implementing some of the rewrites on my localhost now as I build them as standalone html pages then port them over to the dynamic bbcode so I can work on them anywhere I have notepad. I'll let you know back here today if I have found "the one".

EQnoble

OMG Member
Update: I have had to move my board over to another domain as upgrading a mod broke my whole db in a way that I can't fix it....thankfully it was basically a test site with a small private client section that I can move.

Upon rebuilding the entire site (almost done) I noticed the original one had issues with the blizzard bbcode viewed in firefox_3.X so I switched things up a bit with the code itself and now it is fine. Now I can re-write the general xxquote as a framework for a final time and it will be ready to release. I won't say a time because we already know I am horrible with that. :-)

till then

Status
Not open for further replies.