I am waiting to convert from vBulletin to XenForo, because ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlx

OMG Member
XenForo 1.1 sounds like it's worth waiting for it. Really can't wait its release.

ArnyVee

OMG Member
Asking the community:

I am waiting to convert from vBulletin to XenForo, because ...
I still need custom profile fields
I still need thread prefixes
I still need two additional custom add-ons to be created
I still need the finishing touches on my custom style (converted from vB3)

....nearly there though as 1.1 hits my first two 'must haves' :D

Steven Moore

OMG Member
I still need custom profile fields
I still need thread prefixes
I still need two additional custom add-ons to be created
I still need the finishing touches on my custom style (converted from vB3)

....nearly there though as 1.1 hits my first two 'must haves' :D
Hit me up in a PC for custom add-ons, lets see if I can help ya out.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Thread prefixes is coming to 1.1, so that's good news. I haven't heard anything about custom fields yet.

Medora_imported

OMG Member
Asking the community:

I am waiting to convert from vBulletin to XenForo, because ..

(article: 1.1 around the corner)
I probably would have already started conversion if not for being so busy with school. I should be ready to convert the forum in December. It is not the actual conversion that I think time will be needed for so much as everything that comes after: customizing and getting used to the software, along with fixing any unexpected post-conversion problems.

imported_Pope Viper

OMG Member
I was waiting for an arcade, but based on recent actions, I've decided to pull the trigger, once I get a few customizations done.

Medora_imported

OMG Member
What I am most sad about in regards to the idea of converting is losing my "Sample Topics" and "Random Quotations" display on my index page. The former is particularly important, though I like the latter too. Regarding the latter, I know someone made an add-on for displaying quotations* on the index, but it is more complex than I want (I just want to add my own using a text file), and the collection I have is in a text file entirely in HTML format (with a new quotation indicated by a line break).

* http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenquotation.16054/page-4#post-253174 The guy who made the add-on said converting my text file of quotations would take some serious coding knowledge, unfortunately.

Medora_imported

OMG Member
For anyone also looking to add a quotations display on his forum, I have since received a satisfactory solution, details for which I have posted here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...block-to-the-sidebar.13626/page-3#post-301359

As for Sample Topics, I have not come up with a suitable replacement from vBulletin 3.x yet, so for now Ragtek's new posts on sidebar add-on is a "sort of" replacement. I posted the following idea in Ragtek's topic:

What I like most about this add-on's display of new posts is that it actually shows content from the posts themselves. However, I wish to control the amount of text shown and wonder if that can be expanded. Also, would it be an easy matter to have this new posts box displayed wider and above the forum listing instead of as a sidebar block? With the box aligned that way, more text would not cause it to stretch down much more since there is more horizontal space, and by being above the forum listing it would be more immediately visible to the guest I suppose.

If you are wondering what I am getting at, here is a screen shot I took of a similar feature when my forum was still using vBulletin 3.x: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nexias-newscast-existing-vb3-add-on.8651/ As you can see, that add-on displayed content from the latest topics, whereas yours displays from latest content in general. That distinction does not matter so much to me, though, since what is important is that it displays actual words/content being posted on the forum rather than just the title, so that guests may get a taste of the latest content before having to browse the forums/click topic titles.

Moreover, that add-on, like yours, allows the administrator to choose how many new topics (posts in your case) to display, though it also allows you to control the amount of characters to display from the posts themselves, and to exclude certain forums.

Anyways, the alignment of the box widened above the forum listing and the ability to control the amount of characters is what is of most interest to me, though the ability to specify just new topics would be cool too. I wonder how much that would cost as a paid add-on, if this is not an easy add-on to make.

Unfortunately, it seems Ragtek has disappeared in less than honorable terms, at least according to the people who replied after me.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I don't know the situation, but I know ragtek a little. He's been working hard, even when his developer went to do other things. He helped many many people with free little addons just to get them started with xenforo.
If he decides to focus his time on other things, I think it's unfair a bit to put him in negative light because of it. I use his plugins on this site, and they work just fine. What I paid for them, free or not, or for any donation amount, I got what I wanted, and it didn't come with an agreement or something that he will give premium support in the future on it.

Just my opinion.

iTuN3R

OMG Member
Floris no disrespect my friend ! I have been long enough in this forums too . Been through hard times too seen my bad times but i never gave up .

As a a admin of a forum i like to use very less add-on but quality ones only . I first try the add-on's i donate them just not to appreciate their work but to encourage them to keep their work going on . So i start using those Add-on's and suddenly author disappears and we have no other options and author is out of loop without any explanation . It's us who will suffer trying to figure out how to fix /update those add-ons we are using .

No we are not pressuring anyone/blaming anyone but one needs to act as responsible if he/she is expecting donation for their works. I haven't used ragteks add-on's yet but the ones i am using right now/even few others which i am not using i have donated the authors just as appreciation cause they have done awesome job .

Status
Not open for further replies.