I dont' get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
Hi there. I had someone else install the two mods, extra profile tab and additional pages or about tab (not sure if those are the same). And I just don't get what I'm supposed to do with getting those actually to work. When I look at the profile I see the extra tabs there but when I click on it there is nothing underneath to even put anything in it, as in write or place a picture, etc. And when I go to the 'about' page that gets automatically placed in the tabs, I have no idea how to create my own page out of that or access this page to edit it. It's not very intuitive for a non-techie person. A bit of guidance please?

On the other hand, she also installed the popular mod and I love it! Thank you!

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Hey BluPrint4Love, welcome to the web site and it's nice to talk to you.

The "Extra Profile Tab" add-on by XenFans.com is a plugin that helps you add and control an extra tab on the profile page. Rather than you having to code it, customize default templates, etc, we've done that part for you. It's however a starting point with the current release. Meaning that the empty content is put in a template for easy populating. You can find the custom template and edit it to your liking to display what you want in that tab.

Then when a user clicks on it, that content is listed instead of a tab with white content.

From admin.php > options > extra profile tab settings > you can give it a name, and there might be some other options.

From admin.php > appearance tab > templates > you can find the template for the style you're using and populate it with the content you want. Within the existing custom template that comes with the plugin you coul type <b>text in bold</b> or <h1>my title</h1>, etc.

Floris

Staff member
The 'Extra Page' is a plugin to help you quickly adding an extra page to your site. Instead of you having to add code and customize templates to get a new tab, with a new page, with new content, we've done that work and made it into a plugin. It's a starting point for a custom page. By default it is 'about', but you can go to the settings under options for this plugin, and change the tab name, and the route. And then go to the custom template and populate it with whatever you want in it.

Some people made this in to a 'staff' page, others into a 'information about advertising on our site'.

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
I'm sorry, Floris. I have no clue what you're talking about. You lost me at going into my 'templates' and trying to find something. The list in there is humangous and I have no idea what I'm looking for and 'what to get into where.' :(

Floris

Staff member
I've made a boring walk through video to visually demonstrate what I meant.

[edit] It seems youtube processing has caused it to start being out of sync but seems to pick up after a bit. p.s. i can't believe i was able to fill up ten minutes so quickly. Sorry about that.

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
Oh my gosh, Floris, thank you, for completing the steps for me! To a non-techie person I would never have been able to even understand what you were talking about. This was hugely helpful, and visual too!! Thanks, :p

I definitely misunderstood the purpose of the extra profile tab. I thought the profile tab was so the member can express him/herself better and say something else about them (not me placing something I want them to see about my blorum). So I was hoping I can create an extra space for them where they can list their services, say more about themselves, place extra pictures of themselves, videos, etc. So when other members go to their profile they see what this person is really about.

But from your video I take it that this is not really meant for that. Correct?

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
I'm not sure i see a difference between what I have and the link you sent me. Okay, I guess I am more clear with what the profile tabs are really meant for. Didn't go there in my mind. :-)
Thank you so much! Really appreciate it.

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
Hi Floris, I'm trying to create an extra page called 'tools' by following your instructions. I'm in the templates area and did a search using xenfans and it loaded all the templates. I see the 'about' page and have not built that yet, so I want to save that for the 'about' section. I went ahead and tried to create a new template and copying the snippet in the xenfans_extra.css template and calling the new template xenfans_extra_tools but now I can't find it.

I'm probably doing it way wrong. But what is the simplest way to creating a new page/tab, not just an 'about' page, but any page?

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
On a side note, will each page have a 'tweet' this and 'like' this button at the bottom? I have your 'popular' add on but it doesn't have those two features, I think they are super important. Would that be an another add on?

Floris

Staff member
The plugin is using 1 template, if you want additional pages you have to customize the .php code of the plugin as well.

Floris

Staff member
On a side note, will each page have a 'tweet' this and 'like' this button at the bottom? I have your 'popular' add on but it doesn't have those two features, I think they are super important. Would that be an another add on?
No, these are not included in the template, you can try copy/pasting the share code from the other templates that have them.

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
this is a silly question but I can't find your donation button. Since I'm using your 'popular' mod I'd like to donate a few bucks. ;)

Blueprint4love

OMG Member
Now the title of this post does say "I don't get it." But what I really don't get is how a 'new member' named Cycle Chat send me Floris' paypal address. Come again?

I promise I'm not blonde. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.