I must not buy....trying to stop the spend

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Rather than an I wants list I'm doing a stop impulse spending thread. So posting pictures or links of things that I'm close to buying so I can either be talked out of it, or have time to think about if I actually need it.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
What helped me a lot in the previous years is to just make the amazon wish lists and such, and let it go. I come back months later to those lists and realise how much I really don't need or want it.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Nah, I've had wish lists on there for years! Doesn't help one bit!

Floris

Staff member
Nah, I've had wish lists on there for years! Doesn't help one bit!
hahaha, :D

I am well aware of my shopping spree, but they are the result of me thinking and browsing for weeks, sometimes months. And just thinking out loud or posting about it here. They're not really impulse purchases, but I do realise I have a them as well.

Then again, I am perfectly fine not buying anything for monthhhhhts in a row.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I don't have any shopping apps now, so it's slightly more of a process to impulse buy. But it is the impulse buying, food as well, that I just don't realise how much I'm spending.

Floris

Staff member
I have 0% overview on what things cost. I can open 10 grocery stores and I see prices for the same product range from 1.99 to 7.99
It's rediculous and I can't keep track and I have no interest in reaching minimum amounts in each shop to try and get something cheaper here and then over there. Or go for a 2 hour bike ride to find all the stores.

It's a mess and it is stressing me out. I gave up on it, I stick to two grocery store apps, and I add thee same products in both that I need, then I remove a few things that I feel I can do without. And I sigh that I get like a handful of items and it's still 75 bucks. Then whatever store is cheapest that week, they get my order.

I try to buy products the same way. I check local stores, always 25% more expensive, and online things like amazon simply ARE usually the cheapest. So I end up getting it there. But the store that has next day delivery; generally wins.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
No I do a once a month online food shop, but I tend to buy other things as well.
I went to the garden centre and got 2 needed plants, but then walked into the farm shop and spent £9 on things I didn't need, so that's money not being saved on pastries!

Floris

Staff member
I can't do once a month, I have too many fresh produce like fruit and veggies and milk that just don't last.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I can't do once a month, I have too many fresh produce like fruit and veggies and milk that just don't last.
Once a month is for all the heavy items, I will do a fresh foods shop roughly once a week walking, so it's supposed to be a small top up of fresh things but it's always over budget

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
**steps away from the thread**

lol

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I have to reign it in now. All shopping has pretty much been done for 6th form now so just a few bits left and I can start saving for Christmas :D

Floris

Staff member
My list of things to get has grown again. It's hard to not go and clear the list.

Floris

Staff member
Currently, I am purchasing items to fix broken or worn-out things or because I genuinely need them. Additionally, I enjoy buying things that I desire and can afford without any financial burden. This brings me comfort and happiness.

Moreover, I prioritize my long-term comfort and work towards improving my quality of life, including my apartment, health, and mental well-being. I consider it as an investment in myself.

I feel like I am spending too much because I am not used to buying multiple things at once. Usually, it takes me weeks or even months to convince myself it's okay to get something. Therefore, I am trying not to buy things instantly and instead let it linger for a bit. I reconsider, do some research and review what might be smarter, better, or more affordable. I am trying to cut down on my impulsive buying habits.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to switch to sim only when my phone contract runs out at the end of September

Reactions: Nix

Floris

Staff member
I need to switch to sim only when my phone contract runs out at the end of September
That's what I've done when my contract run out and my phone was still good. I got a sim only contract on offer. And when it was time to renew, I got a little bit of a deal to pay the next phone in full elsewhere. Which came with better insurance and support, etc. than the telecom provider would offer.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I have finally given in to buying a new phone case. I will have to buy a mini sd card card soon too for extra storage

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've used up my food budget for the month, so must use up what I have instead if buying more. Well I have about £2 left which will be for a box of eggs, but that's it.

Floris

Staff member
I recently purchased only groceries and one particular item, deliberately avoiding other items.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Once again I've overspent, but hopefully next month will be cheaper. I've reduced my phone bill, and stopped the energy company from increasing my bill. They emailed saying they were lowing their prices, but increasing my bill. No thanks.
I do still need to buy Christmas presents and have to start saving for my car insurance, but no extras next month like I had this time with my holiday.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I need to save.... but pretty lights and gothic decorations tis the season of!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well I've not got a lot of money left for this month, but I went another month without using the credit card. So even if I only have pence in my account on the day before I get paid I'm still doing well.