Is social media destroying the youth?

BigDave

OMG Member
Social media is huge, and when I was a teen it was just starting to take off. I remember when Myspace came out, and I thought that would be the future. Now days, kids online are making tiktoks, have their own facebook, twitters and other social accounts. Do you feel that social media has hurt the youth when it comes to interacting with people? Back in the day, in school, we didn't have phones or social media to worry about. I think once it came to be, it started to make children dumber. That's how I see it anyway. What do you think?

AliyaSohaib

OMG Member
I agree social media is distroying youth personalities somewhere. But it has also benifits like social networking services which can help young people develop their interests and find other people who share the same interests and can help introduce young people to new things and ideas.
Social media gives you an opportunity to talk about what you know and what you want to be known for and can educate you.
And it increase your visibility.
On the other hand it has many harmful effects like it is decreasing face to face communication skills in youth.we all are somewhere disconnected even sitting in same place but we dont talk to eachother busy in social networking means it is creating lack of emotional connection. And it also spread fake news and beliefs so quickly about even one’s religion. Which can distroy youth beliefs aswell.

Mila

OMG Member
Youth need the right information / knowledge to follow which affect on their future and mental health. On social media there is no proper method to verify the bogus report that is shoddier.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Social media is huge, and when I was a teen it was just starting to take off. I remember when Myspace came out, and I thought that would be the future. Now days, kids online are making tiktoks, have their own facebook, twitters and other social accounts. Do you feel that social media has hurt the youth when it comes to interacting with people? Back in the day, in school, we didn't have phones or social media to worry about. I think once it came to be, it started to make children dumber. That's how I see it anyway. What do you think?
There is a throwback, MySpace, geesh!

I don't think that it's hurting the youth, but what I do worry about is that kids feel the rush from getting a like, or getting anxious over not getting updates from friends. Or that they are not growing fast enough. Or even depressed because of the hate comments or because they don't get enough views and feel like a failure. Instead of enjoying the content and connection with others that they do get from it. Or that these platforms would have a more zero tolerance against systematic bullying. This is what we have and I think that part is somewhat unhealthy.

It's a shame kids don't see they can be themselves without the urge for gaining views and likes. Or that sharing what they're doing is really just about what they're doing. And that they're not trying to fake what they're doing so they have something to share.

I agree social media is destroying youth personalities somewhere. But it has also benefits like social networking services which can help young people develop their interests and find other people who share the same interests and can help introduce young people to new things and ideas.
Social media gives you an opportunity to talk about what you know and what you want to be known for and can educate you.
And it increase your visibility.
On the other hand it has many harmful effects like it is decreasing face to face communication skills in youth.we all are somewhere disconnected even sitting in same place but we don't talk to each other busy in social networking means it is creating lack of emotional connection. And it also spread fake news and beliefs so quickly about even one’s religion. Which can destroy youth beliefs as well.
Indeed. There's enough benefits from it, and I think they have value. But nobody is teaching a kid, a kid is basically assuming what they experience is the right thing "everybody is making these videos". It's a shame.

Youth need the right information / knowledge to follow which affect on their future and mental health. On social media there is no proper method to verify the bogus report that is shoddier.
Well said.