It's a shame that expensive hardware can feel so worthless

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
The moment you get something that was not cheap you don't even dare touching it, you pretend to not think about how it got shipped to you, and you hope the thing breaks during warranty instead of our of warranty, and that it will last you forever.

But it does not last forever. It will break or become obsolete. And then when you replace it with something else you sit there and think "if this breaks now, that's ok, it's kinda worthless to me now" it feels cheap and "can't be fixed anyway", .. but, it is still so valuable.

It's a shame we have that feeling. It was made aware to me a while ago when my dirty old broken iMac had to go to Apple for a repair and it came back all clean and working again and it felt like an expensive new system again.

So just going around and keeping your equipment clean, tidy, and organized, it helps you feel value even after a certain period of time. Years.

Changing it up helps too. Moving it to a new location, a new table, or using it differently. Suddenly it's like something that was as precious to you as the day you got it.

Isn't that weird? But it's a shame once something is old or broken that it mentally feels like it's lost all of its value.

Or is it just me?