Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Jan 1, 2001
Netherlands
mrfloris.com
I understand that all boards are different, but surely we can have a discussion about the workflow of moderators or 'team members' on site?

I think a moderator should stay in touch with the team they're in. Teamwork will prevent mistakes, and keeps them up to date on the situation. I therefore expect moderators to have read the content in the administrative forums they have access to.

Secondly, as soon as they see spam I think it's desired that it gets attention. If there's a flood attack and another team member is already on it, the previous step should have made the moderator aware of it. This prevents collision of moderator actions. Handling spam as a moderator keeps the forum clean before any new visitors show up.

Members make mistakes, some resulting from not understanding (or reading) the forum rules and policies. Users or team members might notice this and content, accounts, signatures, avatars or other items might get reported. Reported content from existing members has priority as they're potentially regular members. Funneling the incoming data from a site into a direction learns newcomers what mood there is, how things are done, and what is welcomed to post or not. Discuss reported content, talk to the team and the user if needed, and process it. Link to the conversations, summerize the decision that was made and actions taken to resolve it. Contact the users with a smile, mention it's a friendly notice. Avoid a "I am the police, and this is a fine" attitude.

New members might post things before they get familiar with the site. Their content might get reported, or moderated. Go through moderated content - perhaps discuss it with the team as to what the best action is to take.

Once basic moderator tasks have been completed, it's at last time for a break. Read through some new or existing content before going through the inbox with members' questions. Jumping into the inbox, profile comments (questions from members) or team contact / sales emails... or even the support ticket system with a clear mind is always better.

Finalize existing open tickets, new conversations, or alerts. Process profile comments and answer public questions before jumping into off-topic conversations.

If there's time, there might be open support tickets, or existing projects that require extra attention. Dedicate time for this after another break.

Spreading out the workload over the available time you have, be it per day or per week, will at least keep the site clean, keep the moderator up to date on what's going on, and help get questions answered.

What are your ideas about how you think moderators should go through a site's content?

Status
Not open for further replies.