Outdoor spaces

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Had a good day yesterday, and got tulips and daffodils planted. A few alliums and hyacinths as well in the bed, going to see what else is available in the next few months. I'm happy with though, should be a good amount of colour in there.

Decided that I want to get an asparagus planter in the spring, they take a few years to get established but then produce spears for years.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Had a good time at the allotment today, didn't get a huge amount done, but I was able to just sit and realise how much I have done over the year since I got it.
It's crazy to think it has only been a year, and I've broken my wrist in that time too!

I've got a plan now for next year, and I've planted my strawberry runners, I'm aiming for 12 strawberry plants, so I have 2 current plants, and planted 6 runners currently. In spring I'll get more in different varieties so the season is longer, and more bountiful. I also want to get another 2 blueberry plants, so I get a bigger crop if those as well. I might also get more raspberry canes. That's my main focus next year, getting the summer fruits sorted. The only other real plan is so start an asparagus bed,they take a couple of years to establish so I want a raised bed, dedicated to that.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Got to bring in the coloured pots from the fences, clean them up and store them for next spring.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Unfortunately, summer is coming to an end, which means more storms and rainy days. Outdoor things like flower pots are slowly being moved indoors.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Hoping to spend the day at the allotment today, get lots of weeding and tidying up done.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Going to sort out the garden at the weekend and borrow Sal's gardening gloves lol... got lots to do.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well I went to garden centre, and their packs of onions were 50 in a pack! I'm not expecting all to grow, but 50 onions!
Also planted garlic today not sure how many cloves but, I think it was over 20!
I'm done with planting now, until next year anyway! The next job is to prepare an asparagus bed ready for spring when I can buy some crowns to plant. I won't actually get asparagus for around 2 years, but once it's established I'll have it for about 20 years.
Over winter I want to clear all the weeds and prepare the soil for spring planting. Of course that means deciding on what I want to grow next year.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
It's time for me to start putting the tarp over the bench and do other things. i don't have the space lol.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well I got some red onions free, so they went in today. That's it now, no more planting! Still loads of weeding to do though.
The garlic I put in is growing well, can see over 20 growing, plus a handful of the white onions.

• Love
Reactions: Nix

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Popped up on boxing day and could see some red onions starting to grow.

Got garden centre gift vouchers for Christmas so going to get blueberry plants and hopefully some asparagus.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I've prepped the garden for winter and planted the Bulbs around in random places lol.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
It;s snowing! My garden is rapidly going white!

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I'm hoping for dry if not warmer weather on Wednesday so I can buy blueberry plants.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to go up today, see how bad the storm damage is.
However I did get my blueberry plants in. I've now got 4 blueberry plants so hopefully will get a good crop of them.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Wrote out a rough growing plan for this year. Lots of trying to grow beetroot! I need to figure out if I'm going to grow peas and what they will grow up if I do.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
So far I've sown beetroot, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, kale and peas at the allotment amd at home I have sprouts, sprouting broccoli, tomatoes and squash. I'd be very happy if that lot grows, and I've got asparagus and globe artichokes on order. However I'll not be able to eat the asparagus for another 2 years and I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to eat the artichokes this year as well.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Asparagus is now in, the potatoes and leeks are coming up. Peas are not looking good, slug eaten mostly.

At home all bar a few of the sprouts are growing, but growing too quickly, I can't put them out for weeks yet! Hopefully I'll be able to get some more compost soon and repot them and they'll strengthen up before going out.