Reality Shows, What Kind If Any Do You Like?

PAF_2

OMG Member
I thought I would brooch this subject, because there seem to be so many reality shows out there today on television. I was wondering what kind do you watch or like if any. There are the talent show kind, the competition kind, and of course the soap opera kind that delve into personal lives of those on it.

I have to admit that I have liked different types of each of these. I still like to watch Dancing with The Stars which could be considered a talent show type. I have in the past watched The Bachelor, which is a competition type, although the last few installments had no interest for me. I also like baking competition type shows such as the one the TLC is airing right now call The Next Great Baker, or design competitions like Project Runway or Face Off.

I will also admit that I have been sucked in by some of the soap opera ones with a few installments of the Real Housewives on Bravo. Although I know better then to take these too seriously, so much of that drama going on is set up or staged because these shows feed off drama.

Another reality show that I like but I don't know where to classify it is Shark Tank. I guess this could be called a competition show. Anyway do you like any types of reality shows?

Tricorder

Resident Maid
I don't watch anything that falls into a category of a "reality show". I used to take a peek at Big Brother from time to time, but mostly to see what all the fuss is about, not because it interested me. Reality shows are boring to me.

claudine

Found it!
I don't enjoy watching reality shows. I'm just not interested in other peoples life, I often find it boring. I watched the first season of Project Runway - but only because I like looking at pretty clothes :)

nineteen

keys to a counter are timing. and the heart-Miyata
operation osmin. he takes in different people and trains them for a whole month. it can either be a male or female. he doesn't train "built" people alot it's mostly everyday average people and tries to give them confidence. the last show i watched was with a 40+ female.

>.> would beat the chefs on the gameshow network be counted as a "reality show"?

Last edited by a moderator:

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
I like reality shows about restaurants that are failing and need an expert to turn these restaurants around.

DarkGizmo

OMG Member
I don't watch much tv but reality shows really bore the hell out of me so I tend to not watch any of them.

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
Reality shows about failing restaurants are pretty much the only type of reality TV that I watch.

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
I agree with you, Dark Gizmo.  Their's only so much I can take of reality shows because it does get boring to me after a while.  And watching people argue with each other gets old after a while as well.

Tricorder

Resident Maid
People in charge of organizing and running reality shows intentionally pick argumentative types whose characters differ with the intention to create hostile atmosphere among the contesters, to intentionally spark conflicts, all with the purpose of attracting more viewers to increase profit from the advertisements TV channels are oversaturated with anyway.

After all, watching people going at each other and then, when it's about to get interesting, having a round of commercials shoved at your face, is a great way to "force" the audience into staying put, watching the commercials in anticipation of the continuation of the show, just to see how far the conflict will go, how much will it escalate.

Generally, reality shows have rules against violence and other forms of abuse, but, from what I've seen, they don't mean much to anyone. As far as I know, all participants are required to sign a contract that takes away their right to legally persecute each other or the show organizers in case someone says or does something to someone that might give the person in question right to seek justice via legal means, so, from what I've seen, troublemakers often get away with what they did.

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
Maybe if I watched more reality shows, I'd develop more of an interest in them.  But I doubt it.

Tricorder

Resident Maid
But, in order to watch more of them, you'd have to develop an interest in them first. ;)

Tricorder

Resident Maid
Of course. Why would they go away? Find a bunch of brainless, aggressive, overly opinionated, pushy loudmouths with little or no self-control (which isn't very hard to do), cut them off from the outside world, provide them with large quantities of alcohol to keep them drunk, thus removing any self-control they might have, interrupt the show with commercials as often as possible and voilà - instant success.

The audience gets to watch the said bunch sitting around, drinking their brains out and then screaming at each other for no reason (and, apparently, enjoy it) while the producers of the show harvest the profit from the commercials they cleverly insert just as things start to get "interesting", thus "forcing" the audience to watch the commercials in anticipation, to see what's going to happen next in the show, when the commercials end.

It's all about profit. Nothing else. As long as reality shows continue to bring profit, they won't go away.

MainerMikeBrown

OMG Member
There's one reality show I sometimes like to see about a guy who helps turn around failing hotels and motels.

It's kind of odd feeling for me when I watch this show because I used to work at hotels.  I was unhappy working in hotels.  And I still think the hotel business is too boring.

Aussie

OMG Member
I generally get hooked to a whole season if I am going to. For the last 3 years I have been hooked to "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here" Australian series (set in South Africa). The celebs, whilst not A listers, are recognisable and entertaining.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I like watching the Gordon Ramsey ones, Hotel Hell or Kitchen Nightmares, those kind of reality shows. Not really into week by week ones, as odds are I'll miss weeks and have no clue who is still in or out!

Does Judge Judy count? I'll watch that if it's on, or Hoarders. Hoarders always makes me feel better if I've not cleaned up that day!

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
OO yes I like the Gordon Ramsey ones too :)

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I like watching the Gordon Ramsey ones, Hotel Hell or Kitchen Nightmares, those kind of reality shows. Not really into week by week ones, as odds are I'll miss weeks and have no clue who is still in or out!

Does Judge Judy count? I'll watch that if it's on, or Hoarders. Hoarders always makes me feel better if I've not cleaned up that day!
I think I watched one season of hells kitchen, it was a train wreck that was hard to watch. Yikes! I enjoyed some episodes but I felt cringe most of the time.

I generally get hooked to a whole season if I am going to. For the last 3 years I have been hooked to "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here" Australian series (set in South Africa). The celebs, whilst not A listers, are recognisable and entertaining.
I don't know if I know this one. Sounds interesting, but.. also not. Argh, I am so split on reality tv, if it sucks me in, I will watch everything.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Yeah I was never a Hell's Kitchen fan either, but the others are good, more going into real places and seeing how bad they are!

Aussie

OMG Member
I will watch anything Gordon Ramsey is in if its on tv - but I wont seek it out. I enjoy him and his humour and he knows when to turn it off too which is valuable. I have seen advertisements for his daughters show which looked a bit cute.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I will watch anything Gordon Ramsey is in if its on tv - but I wont seek it out. I enjoy him and his humour and he knows when to turn it off too which is valuable. I have seen advertisements for his daughters show which looked a bit cute.
No no no, don't hide it, you have a poster of him above your bed :)

Creaky

OMG Member
Watched the very first Big Brother in the Uk, not watched any of them since.