• Connect today Guest, Join our never resetting minecraft 1.20.4 survival server, where we explore, mine, build, and survive together. We are a family-friendly community, and open to all over the age of 13. Bring friends and make new ones!
    Features include: mcMMO RPG, Rewards for Achievements, a /market, Multiple worlds, sit on a chair, events, Economy, and more. We can't wait to have you join us!

Server update Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Over time we've been hosting the 1MB server on a small VPS to a home solution, and finally on my iMac at home. Plain and simple. It works, it's fast enough, and we're not that big that it justifies the need for an extra monthly fee just to have a game server online.

The old system is dying and in need of replacement. So I've been saving up money through https://floris.computer/ over the last couple of years and patiently waited for Apple to release a new iMac for my home situation.

That time has finally come. And we've finally moved to the new system. Some specs for the geeks:

The Minecraft server went from the old beta to stable on the 1MB 1.x releases, at small VPS to older Mac Pro servers. During the 2.x era of 1MB we've been hosting it on a 2009 iMac with core 2 duo CPU and a small 256mb nVidia GPU and 8GB of memory. The hard drive was a 640gb HDD 7200 rpm at 100 read speed disk. Performance was ok, for a few people online. It did what it had to do.

The new system is a i7 Kaby Lake CPU with many more cores, 8GB of DDR4 ram, 1TB of SSD disk space at 2500 read speed. And the video card is an ATI 580 with 8gb of memory. Quite the difference over the old system. This surely benefits our performance. We can run multiple MC servers 24/7 for triple the amount of users with more features, and faster world editing and logging support. Surely this will give us another period of fun gameplay without much compromise.

The memory on the old system is maxed out at 8GB, but the new system starts with 8GB and will get bumped up to 40gb in 2018 and maxing out at 64gb in 2019 or 2020. The new system also benefits from a tenfold of read and write speeds. Something the MC server really enjoys making use of.

Beyond that there's nothing much to it. Compiling new builds will be a lot faster, restarting will be a lot faster, running events can be done more frequently. Overall a step forward for us.

So get Minecraft, come join us and say hi, find a spot in the general world to build and get some resources from the mining world, craft some blocks and build an awesome base.

Status
Not open for further replies.