So cruel, I probably won't get another pet.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
This is cruel, and I am sorry for being this mean. But I probably will not have another pet after my cat is no longer with me. While I love having the company and all, I can't stay away for nights anymore. I can't just get up and leave. The independence, that freedom is gone. In my mind, my world, I really value being on my own and not owing anyone an explanation about why I am leaving, or that I even am.

I wish I could just drop my cat off somewhere and leave. Even if I would stay home alone. But people ask, they know, and have social expectations of a chat and what not. And I really dislike that.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
ps, i love my kitty <3

Last edited:

KilljoyDivine

OMG Member
Totally understanding this. Sometimes I feel chained by one of our animals. We can get a pet sitter for the dog for any length of time, but then there's the cat who is on such a ridiculous feeding schedule. We could get a sitter for the cat, but she's special needs. I'd love to be able to travel, but we can't travel together because of this. We've talked about when the animals are gone, we need a break from pets. :\

Sorry you've got this going on.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Totally understanding this. Sometimes I feel chained by one of our animals. We can get a pet sitter for the dog for any length of time, but then there's the cat who is on such a ridiculous feeding schedule. We could get a sitter for the cat, but she's special needs. I'd love to be able to travel, but we can't travel together because of this. We've talked about when the animals are gone, we need a break from pets. :\

Sorry you've got this going on.
I feel this might apply to everybody though. Just like you say: it takes away a bit of freedom.

Instead of just getting up from my chair, jump on a bus to the airport and order a $100 ticket to somewhere else and not come home for a week .. it's just no possible. Unless I am back within 24 hours and she doesn't starve.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
This is why I wouldn't have a pet, and my mother is just realising this now too, having always had pets and been in relationships they haven't been a huge tie before, going away. I'd usually be the one to take care of them, but now it's also the day to day taking care of them that she's realising is such a hassle when you have to work all day. Not been too bad lately as I've been off work for the last two months, but I'll be going back to work soon and then what, she's working 12 hours, and I'm at work too, so who let's the dogs out and collects the eggs?