Space News

TommyJo

OMG Member
2021 promises to be quite a productive year for space launches. Here you will have weekly launches of SpaceX, and the first successful launch of 10 CubeSats from CosmicGirl, and the prospect of getting space tugs and other ways to maintain satellites and remove space debris.
I think this is a great topic in which you can share interesting news from all parts of the world and get a little distracted from what surrounds us every day.
Do you have any favourite projects that you are following development?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I have been trying my best to follow Elon's companies in the last decade, it's quite a thing he's achieving. SpaceX is especially interesting of course. I am curious how it will be in a decade from now.

TommyJo

OMG Member
To be honest, I don't really like the cult that has formed around this man. It was also fun to watch the explosion yesterday while trying to land SN. It's funny just because nobody got hurt.
Now I am more of an appeal to more conservative companies. Those who do more pre-run tests.
And other companies are doing some pretty amazing things.
I only hope that all developments of over 60 private space companies will be peaceful.

Floris

Staff member
From failure we learn. Explosions suck, but if this all goes well from the get go and they think they're the gods of the world. Then lives in space will all get lost. Eventually we need to have generation ships going out there to keep our human dna in this universe. We cannot make mistakes then.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
My name is going to Mars! NASA did a thing where you can send your name via the Perseverance Rover, you get a little boarding pass for it, I'll have to dig through the emails to find it.

Floris

Staff member
I am ready to go to mars, sign me up. one way ticket pls

TommyJo

OMG Member
From failure we learn. Explosions suck, but if this all goes well from the get go and they think they're the gods of the world. Then lives in space will all get lost. Eventually we need to have generation ships going out there to keep our human dna in this universe. We cannot make mistakes then.
It is difficult to imagine how huge this structure can be. I mean a spaceship that will be able to travel several hundred years. In fact, it should be a flying city with all the infrastructure. Schools, universities, communication with the Earth, etc.
It seems impossible to me.
Humanity has not yet learned even to ride bicycles without incident.

Reactions: Nix

Floris

Staff member
It is difficult to imagine how huge this structure can be. I mean a spaceship that will be able to travel several hundred years. In fact, it should be a flying city with all the infrastructure. Schools, universities, communication with the Earth, etc.
It seems impossible to me.
Humanity has not yet learned even to ride bicycles without incident.
No need to communicate with earth after a period of time.
I don't think this is impossible. Are we currently ready to do this? No, obviously not.
We can live in a country and excel - we can do that anywhere.

TommyJo

OMG Member
Yes, but nevertheless, a lot of work is being done in the space industry. Rolls-Royce and Boeing are developing a nuclear rocket engine. Dr Erahidi of the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory has found a way to create a completely new type of rocket engine. It can be up to 10 times faster than current engines. Other companies are already actively working on devices like space tugs. This is a device that is theoretically capable of ridding us of space debris, as well as adjusting the course of satellites, etc.
I mean, the space theme has become popular again.
Maybe people just don't like it here and want to fly away?

TommyJo

OMG Member
My name is going to Mars! NASA did a thing where you can send your name via the Perseverance Rover, you get a little boarding pass for it, I'll have to dig through the emails to find it.
That's cool! I was not aware of such possibilities. This is a great opportunity to be part of something meaningful. Previously, they sent discs and records into space. It seemed strange to me. But now I understand.

Floris

Staff member
I can't wait to leave earth, the chance to leave this planet and enjoy the universe out there.. I am fine if it's a one way trip.

TommyJo

OMG Member
I have recently got the feeling that there is at least 50% of the population who want to leave the planet with a one-way ticket.
This is pretty weird. And it may not have a very good effect on other planets.
Scientists are now developing a plan to clear space debris from orbit. And after space travel becomes available, scientists will have to develop ways to clean other planets from traces of human activity.

Floris

Staff member
I have recently got the feeling that there is at least 50% of the population who want to leave the planet with a one-way ticket.
This is pretty weird. And it may not have a very good effect on other planets.
Scientists are now developing a plan to clear space debris from orbit. And after space travel becomes available, scientists will have to develop ways to clean other planets from traces of human activity.
If 50% leaves, I will stay, haha :D

But it is hard to not say yes to the opportunity to go into space, to see the world from a different perspective. I would love to see other celestial bodies from a little bit closer and from a window, not a telescope/picture. And If I could place my hands on the surface of another planet like Mars or some exoplanet in another system, I would probably not hesitate and just say yes.