Stocking up

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Well it's official 80% price increase on energy from October.

I'm starting to fill up the freezer with foods that can be microwaved instead of oven, hoping to use the oven once a month only. I'll bake and batch cook on the same day, get it all done for the month

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
I can't afford 80% increase, welp, guess ill be living on the streets then.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Yeah, it's not going to be a choice between heating and eating, people just won't be able to afford either.

I already don't plan on putting the heater on, but will struggle to get washing dry. So must keep on top of it now while we still have warm weather.

I've got plenty of blankets, oodie and hot water bottle to keep me warm. Lots of dvds and Netflix to watch, plus jigsaws and books.

I do need to restock my white hot chocolate though!

Reactions: Nix

Floris

Staff member
60% of benefits goes to rent, 60% to utility bills, 60% to food, 60% to energy bill.
but I only get 100% , so yeah .. fingers crossed we can keep paying for hobbies like this site and Minecraft next year.

• Sad

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I need to reduce food down, to around £80 a month, not including the cat, as his varies per month depending on if he needs dry food.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
Its all crappy.... no heating this year or lighting or food... what a way to live... the future holds uncertainty and a lot of tough choices.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I won't be going anywhere that's for sure, I've got a prebooked trip to view Highgrove Gardens next month, and then mum is taking me to theatre in October and that'll be it until spring if not summer next year. Even then I can't see me going anywhere.

• Sad

Floris

Staff member
yeah it sucks, i've told family that my money goes to the energy bill so i don't know about dutch sinterklaas/christmas and birthdays. so. just how it is.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've started my inventory, pretty sure I have enough toilet roll and shampoo to last me to the end of the year. Still have to go through the freezer and write down what I have there.

• Haha

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've switched my water bill to monthly, instead of every 6 months, so I don't have to worry about how I'm going to find the money in February for it

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Bulk bought cat litter and his dried food, so won't need to buy that again this year.

My shopping delivery is due on Sunday, so hopefully I'll not need to buy much after that.

Floris

Staff member
I've switched my water bill to monthly, instead of every 6 months, so I don't have to worry about how I'm going to find the money in February for it
i wish that was possible, i pay monthly, but it's a set amount and then end of year they give you a bill for what you should have paid or you get money back if you pay too much.

Floris

Staff member
Today I had delivered some fall season and winter stuff, like cans of beans in tomato sauce, they will last ages, as well as carrot/pees in cans, and a couple of bigger cans of soups. I also got a properly sealed bag of mix of nuts, and drinks that will last many months that I can just put aside, and eh.. already forgot, but a few more things that I wanted to try while they are "affordable", I already noticed when I got this last year, each product was less money, prices really have gone up on even these things. But, my stock box is a bit fuller, I can put this in a cupboard (will clean it tomorrow) and kinda forget about it.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I've gone a little over budget this month with food, but bought stuff on offer that will last, a few tin offers on, so I now have to find room for 8 tins of spaghetti!

Floris

Staff member
I've contacted all the grocery companies I buy stuff from asking them to add 'stock items', and one app has it now. They auto-populate the page with things in cans, pickled jars, and items with a long shelf life.

I instantly started checking their cheapest prices, comparing against other companies I buy from and will start to add one or two every now and then so my stock cupboards have something that will last a bit. I don't want to overdo it, I don't need to buy 24 cans of beans, only to never use them and then in 5 years remember that I have them, only to find out they started rusting or whatever and waste all that money.

Floris

Staff member
Today a few more things showed up with the groceries, my stock cup board is pretty full now (well, I guess I could organize/stack it better).
This isn't stuff that lasts 500 years, I know. But if I can't afford groceries this fall/winter, I know I have some extras stuffed away that will get me through the days. If there's a sudden wave of covid, i can just stay home if needed. And coming Spring time I will start eating what's expiry date is for 2022/2023. I also got some extra types of flower, sugar, so I can probably bake enough variety stuff that will get me through some days, in case there's no gas, or electricity, or they're suddenly out of bread or something. I am not playing prepper here, or saying this is the way to go, this is what was either on sale, affordable, available, something i know i don't mind the taste of, and jars or cans that last more than a week without power in case we get cut off or whatever.
This is the third time in the last month or so that i add extras to my groceries, little cans of beans here, cans of peas and carrots, can with some fruit, mashed potato powder pouches, that just need water.. salt/sugar, etc.

Ideally I'd get a box with 3 months worth of food that is like military survival stuff that just needs water and/or some fire, and you can put in a closet and forget about for ten+ years. But they're like 300$ and up. haha. And I don't want to spend money on things i might never use. Over time i will use this up and end of spring i will find out what to re-stock or whatever.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot 2022-09-14 at 20.11.44.png
    Screen-Shot 2022-09-14 at 20.11.44.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen-Shot 2022-09-14 at 20.12.01.png
    Screen-Shot 2022-09-14 at 20.12.01.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 0

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
My plan is to have a good stock by Christmas as I normally work less hours in January and February, I'm nearly sorted, just household stuff really to go.

Floris

Staff member
My plan is to have a good stock by Christmas as I normally work less hours in January and February, I'm nearly sorted, just household stuff really to go.
Nice, .. and I probably should keep a bit of a list of stuff that I have, so I have some overview. It's slowly growing, but I am losing overview. And I need to make sure I stock things "longest date at the bottom and in the back", and shortest dates first.

Floris

Staff member
I found a shop that didn't realise yet that they can charge 50 bucks for those little tea lights. So I've got myself a bag of 100 of them for 7 euro, including shipping and vat.

And I got myself a box with some Norwegian outdoors cotton/wool socks with some extra support. A size too big almost. So I at least have some new thick and soft socks this winter. All the winter socks I have are thin and have holes in them.

I've tested the new noodles thing that I got - they're better than what I usually have, easy to make, and still cheap. so I will get a 3 to 5 of each flavor so I have some extra warm food that just needs hot water.

i looked at those radiator reflector or window heat catcher things, but they are all terrible quality and of course already 20 bucks to 75 each. i am glad I got some a few years ago, if the winter is really getting properly below zero and it's not fun anymore, then I will use those this winter

next now is to save my money and just shop smart, but not for extra stuff. and wait for some things I will always buy anyway, that can stay in storage for a while, during black friday

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
I think I'm pretty well stocked, or will be once my next delivery arrives. I'm considering get a 24 coke box, but that would be about it

Floris

Staff member
Coke has become so expensive, and the cheap off brand coke tastes horrible.
i was thinking about it too.

everything's stupid expensive, inflation is now 17,1 % in the NL.

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Freezer is full to bursting, cupboard is full of cat litter! I will need to do a toilet roll shop next month, will keep an eye out for offers, so I can bulk buy it.

Floris

Staff member
Freezer is full to bursting, cupboard is full of cat litter! I will need to do a toilet roll shop next month, will keep an eye out for offers, so I can bulk buy it.
don't forget to also use it up over time :D