Tech is changing, but does my home network?

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Techy people, enlighten me. I have always loved the complexity of a small network or a home network. I do not just have a modem, and linked it to my computer. I have a router behind it, and tried my best to manage things properly. I do not just hook in all my devices, I have a network for my wireless stuff, my wired stuff and IoT stuff. But, it's a bit of a dirty approach.

What I do not have, is a rack mount with a switch in it or a UPS. I used to have those things, but I have gone to more simpler solutions.

My systems are all 1Gbit and my devices are all 802.11ac (or soon to be). The router I picked supports both 2.4 and 5ghz, and two networks, and there's a shitty bit of support for shared things like a network printer, NAS etc. Not really utilizing that just yet.

I have no game consoles, .. yet.

For gaming, I am considering to just get an external wide curved monitor with multiple hdmi ports, and buy secondhand consoles and a few games. So when I am done editing on my iMac that uses this monitor as second monitor.. that I can also switch to hdmi and turn on my ps4.

I want game consoles to be wired to the network. I want the iMac to be wired to the network as well as wireless.

I want my laptops and servers and workstations and a media encoder machine to all be wired to the network.

And I want a wireless network with great reach in each room, so I am considering to slowly expand on access points for say the bedroom etc.

This means my router's 4 ports are going to be full, and the router throughput just doesn't cut it on a 1gbit network to import and export data, live edit in premiere pro from 2 machines, and have time machines backups running constantly. There's no need these days with ac wifi and 1gbit network ports on devices, to have a slow experience. Especially when the bottleneck of hdd is gone with ssd drives.

Do I really need to move to a switch? Will an unmanaged switch already help loads, can I bundle connections for optimal speed between systems? Do I then need a patch panel, or can i frankenstein the cables into the switch and the systems?

I will go from a internet > modem > router (1)-> iMac, (2)-> iOS devices, (3)-> external drive on network, (4)-> philips hue bridge, to a network that will have multiple iMacs, mac pro server, macbook of sorts, multiple iOS devices, external hard drives that need to be moved to the network and reachable by each device on LAN (but not WAN), a media machine that imports, exports data and encodes it, and I can pull files from for streaming to vlc, upload to youtube, and live edit in premiere pro, have music/ and dropbox/ etc on. And game consoles.

Some machines need to have access to the internet, some do not. Some just need web management from remote connection on say one of the iMacs, while the rest are ok with just ssh connections.

Ideally I get $10,000 budget and get a rack mount, move it in the other room, get a apc ups or something at the bottom, a patch panel and a 24 port switch below it, with 6 inch kingston pluggable cables, move to 10gbit network and cat6 cables, and bundle a couple to get 1gbit throughput for all devices, move a rack mountable router in there, a panel with space for the hue bridge and modem, and eh, a on/off switch for the power for easy management, and run some cables through the apartment. And put all this in the other room so it's quiet and out of sight.

But i need to find a home solution that's not $1000 or $10k and I am wondering what i do not need, vs what i do need.

Basically i want the iMac to work with remote drives on the network, at a speed that is as if the drives are in the iMac. And have a secure enough network for my wife devices to communicate with eachother for easy photo video sharing, and getting them online at home. Everything else is extra after that, i don't have the money for the game consoles or a rack of ssd raid drives haha. But i want to be prepared for it. because if i freelance anything and i get a customer that helps me pay my bills and there's anything left over, i can invest it back into the network.

Ideally I upgrade my cable to a business account and get a few IP addresses that are dedicated, so I can have things a bit more organised. But .. 300mbit is more than plenty right now.

Looking for people with way more experience saying "no need for this, ac is already faster than gbit, just wifi the stuff and you will be fine" blah blah.

I am too old skool - i was setting up networks when the cards where 10/100mbit, not 100/1gbit