Understanding "Geek Speak"

MyLordsLady

OMG Member
I am not a technical person at all. I understand basic things about how websites work, and I know basic HTML code, but I am not a tech geek at all. Recently I went through a web hosting transfer situation and every tech support person I encountered (literally a dozen!) had a very difficult time explaining things in a non-technical way. Perhaps if I knew the correct way to ask for help, or better understood some of the terminology used, then some of the issues could have been avoided.

Is there a good resource out there that explains web development/hosting/ftp in a straightforward manner? After this recent situation, I definitely want to learn more!

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Simply ask what something means, and I can probably get you started. Just overwhelming you with loads of our resource links will not really help either.

FTP and HTTP and stuff are all protocols.

The TP stands for transfer protocol (going from a to be and b to a communications)
The F in FTP stands for File.. it's the protocol we use to transfer the actual files that we use to power our sites. Or say dumps of backups and databases)
The HT in HTTP stands for Hyper Text, it's the protocol we use to render the files on the server visually in our browsers. So we can make a file like index.html and transfer it to the server with FTP and then open a browser and go to the index.html page to view it.

So when you move from one hosting provider to another, you need to download the web files with ftp from one. And then upload those downloaded files with FTP to the new one.

Nix

Just a little crazy!!
Staff member
I honestly know nothing about it but I have many friends that do. I just ask....but be prepared for long answers and in detail with passion lol :angel:

Just ask :D