Welcome to OMG boards community!
Community of friends where we talk about daily life, offtopic stuff, and what keeps us busy.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Upgrading WordPress

Discussion in 'The Geek District' started by Joan, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Joan

Joan OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    So I have a WordPress blog, and it's currently the free plan. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a paid plan that allows me to post videos and have my own domain name. Is it worth it or is there a better way of having these features via a different hosting site?

What site would you recommend?

2. OP
    Joan

Joan OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Ok so done a bit more research and it seems getting a hosting site is better. One that keeps popping up is bluehost? anyone got any recommendation for hosting a wordpress site?

I'm not going to do it until July anyway when I've got the time and money to sort it out.

3. Floris

Floris I'm just me :) Hi. Staff Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Personally I rather be in control of the software and the database, than leave it with a hosting service that installs it for you and you depend on their quality of service.

I host my WP myself, sandbox them, and configure them from "deny everything' and then make exceptions on what the public is allowed to do. And I do recommend these days to use 2 step for authing your accounts, and don't allow user-input. And turn on auto upgrade.

So yes - host yourself :)

4. OP
    Joan

Joan OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Huh?

You got to put that in easy speak for me!

5. Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Yes, hosting wordpress yourself is a great way to be in control of your data. It are files, easily replaced, and a database, and the database is where it stores the blog posts, etc.

A small VPS or a shared hosting solution will allow you to use wordpress.

However, if you really are not familiar with the tech terms for hosting php files and setting up a database ...
    then a- this is the awesome time to learn,
    or b- maybe go to wordpress.com and let them handle all of it, and dont worry about upgrades, etc.

6. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu OMG Member

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    I also prefer to do it myself. Hosting package, domain name and upload/handle it all myself. I just like having control over what's going on :)

7. Floris

Threads:
    Likes Gained:
    Don't go with GoDaddy, go with Namecheap or hover.
    And get a reputable host, nothing that offers "$1.month, everything unlimited . blahblah"