Upgrading WordPress

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
So I have a WordPress blog, and it's currently the free plan. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a paid plan that allows me to post videos and have my own domain name. Is it worth it or is there a better way of having these features via a different hosting site?

What site would you recommend?

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Ok so done a bit more research and it seems getting a hosting site is better. One that keeps popping up is bluehost? anyone got any recommendation for hosting a wordpress site?

I'm not going to do it until July anyway when I've got the time and money to sort it out.

Floris

I'm just me :) Hi.
Staff member
Personally I rather be in control of the software and the database, than leave it with a hosting service that installs it for you and you depend on their quality of service.

I host my WP myself, sandbox them, and configure them from "deny everything' and then make exceptions on what the public is allowed to do. And I do recommend these days to use 2 step for authing your accounts, and don't allow user-input. And turn on auto upgrade.

So yes - host yourself :)

Joan

Don't Blink
Patron
Huh?

You got to put that in easy speak for me!

Floris

Staff member
Yes, hosting wordpress yourself is a great way to be in control of your data. It are files, easily replaced, and a database, and the database is where it stores the blog posts, etc.

A small VPS or a shared hosting solution will allow you to use wordpress.

However, if you really are not familiar with the tech terms for hosting php files and setting up a database ...
then a- this is the awesome time to learn,
or b- maybe go to wordpress.com and let them handle all of it, and dont worry about upgrades, etc.

Azhria Lilu

OMG Member
I also prefer to do it myself. Hosting package, domain name and upload/handle it all myself. I just like having control over what's going on :)

Floris

Staff member
Don't go with GoDaddy, go with Namecheap or hover.
And get a reputable host, nothing that offers "$1.month, everything unlimited . blahblah"